1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fermi energy and ratio of the number of occupied levels at an energy

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Calculate the Fermi energy for copper.

b) Calculate the ratio of the number of occupied levels at an energy of 8.5 eV to the number occupied levels at the Fermi energy at room temperature.

c) Based on your answer to a) and b) above, show that at room temperature, the conduction electron gas must be treated as a quantum gas of indistinguishable particles

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the fermi energy for copper is 7.0ev but have no idea how it was set up. please help me set this problem up with equations or whatever i need to solve it

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2
    You will need to supply more info to solve (a). You will need to supply equations for the Fermi energy.

4. Aug 9, 2010 #3
    that was all i was given to work with

5. Aug 9, 2010 #4
    Well you will need more info to calculate the Fermi energy. Even if you assumed it to be a perfect fermi sea, you would need the density of carriers then.

6. Aug 9, 2010 #5
    well if i know the fermi energy for copper is 7ev then how do i set up and solve for b?

7. Aug 9, 2010 #6
    Look up the Fermi function. You will need that for (b) as well as the density of states.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook