Fermi Energy's plausible, but why define Fermi Temperature?

In summary, Fermi temperature is the temperature at which the particles in an ideal gas will have an average thermal energy equal to the Fermi energy. This temperature is typically in the range of tens of thousands of Kelvin. At this temperature, the metal will transition from being classical to quantum. However, due to the high temperatures required, it is not possible to have a solid metal at the Fermi temperature. Instead, the metal would exist in a gaseous state. It is still referred to as a metal because it can be treated as a gas. The specific temperature of the Fermi temperature is important in understanding the behavior of the metal as a quantum gas.
August
I get that in a single particle of a metal, Fermi energy is defined at T = 0 as the maximum energy that electrons can reach.

I get that, but my book defines this concept called Fermi Temperature.
Is Fermi Temperature the temperature where electrons can reach the next empty energy band in support of heat energy, not by the direct influence of photons?

Also, I would like to know if reaching Fermi temperature means the electrons will act upon Fermi-Dirac distribution rule(which I think means at that temperature electrons they would act like a regular gas, which otherwise they wouldn't.)

(I looked up 'Fermi Energy' in wiki, and couldn't find the proper explanation for Fermi Temperature.)

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Googling "fermi temperature" should help you out there. eg.
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/FermiTemperature.html

It is also discussed in Physics Forums - eg.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/about-fermi-energy-and-fermi-temperature.233869/
Thanks for your response but a simple formula like that means nothing to me when there is a specific parameter with no explanation given on what it is or what it does.
What happens to the metal once it reaches to Fermi Temperature, is my question.

It is helpful to compare the thermal de Broglie wavelength to the interparticle spacing. At high temperatures the kinetic energy is $$ \frac{p^2}{2m} \sim T $$ (this is just a classical particle formula), so the de Broglie wavelength is $$ \lambda = \frac{h}{p} \sim \frac{h}{\sqrt{Tm}}. $$ The classical approximation should be valid as long as the wavefunctions of the particles don't significantly overlap. Significant overlap will occur once the size of the wavefunction (de Broglie wavelength) is comparable to the interparticle spacing (set by the density). This occurs when when $$ \lambda \sim a = n^{-1/d} $$ with n the particle density and d the spatial dimension. If you solve this equation for T you will find that [itex] T \sim T_F [/itex] is roughly the temperature at which the gas transitions from being classical to quantum.

Physics Monkey said:
It is helpful to compare the thermal de Broglie wavelength to the interparticle spacing. At high temperatures the kinetic energy is $$ \frac{p^2}{2m} \sim T $$ (this is just a classical particle formula), so the de Broglie wavelength is $$ \lambda = \frac{h}{p} \sim \frac{h}{\sqrt{Tm}}. $$ The classical approximation should be valid as long as the wavefunctions of the particles don't significantly overlap. Significant overlap will occur once the size of the wavefunction (de Broglie wavelength) is comparable to the interparticle spacing (set by the density). This occurs when when $$ \lambda \sim a = n^{-1/d} $$ with n the particle density and d the spatial dimension. If you solve this equation for T you will find that [itex] T \sim T_F [/itex] is roughly the temperature at which the gas transitions from being classical to quantum.
Have you tried that formula? For a typical Fermi temperature in metals I get wavelengths of the order of 10^(-20) m.

Fermi temperature is simply the temperature at which the particles in an ideal gas will have an average thermal energy equal with the Fermi energy.
You cannot expect to have a metal at that temperature, so nothing will actually "happen" at the Fermi temperature.

What happens to the metal once it reaches to Fermi Temperature, is my question
The Fermi temperature is just the name for the Fermi energy divided by the Boltzman constant... it is used because it crops up a lot in equations. It can be convenient. Reread the second link. Did you try using the PF search function and google as suggested?

nasu said:
Have you tried that formula? For a typical Fermi temperature in metals I get wavelengths of the order of 10^(-20) m.

Fermi temperature is simply the temperature at which the particles in an ideal gas will have an average thermal energy equal with the Fermi energy.
You cannot expect to have a metal at that temperature, so nothing will actually "happen" at the Fermi temperature.

Unless I made a typo which I don't see, I think your calculation has an error. One should get length scales in the nm to angstrom range.

I'm also not sure why you say you can't have a metal at temperatures near the Fermi temperature.

Yes, now I see that you forgot a Boltzmann constant there.
If you put in the right place you get indeed wavelengths of the order of angstroms or tens of angstroms.

Fermi temperatures are of the order of a few tens of thousand K (over 10,000 K).
The boiling point of tungsten is less than 6000 K. And is the highest. The melting point is below 4000 K.
For common metals melting points are below 2000 K. Sure, the atoms of the metal may exist at the Fermi temperature, maybe in an ionized state, but this won't be a solid metal.

nasu said:
Yes, now I see that you forgot a Boltzmann constant there.
If you put in the right place you get indeed wavelengths of the order of angstroms or tens of angstroms.

Fermi temperatures are of the order of a few tens of thousand K (over 10,000 K).
The boiling point of tungsten is less than 6000 K. And is the highest. The melting point is below 4000 K.
For common metals melting points are below 2000 K. Sure, the atoms of the metal may exist at the Fermi temperature, maybe in an ionized state, but this won't be a solid metal.
I was already aware of the fact that a metal will evaporate even below Fermi temperature. But a metal in a form of gas would still be a metal, and now we can treat the metal as a gas.
I'm wondering why it matters to be at that specific temperature even tho the metal would already be a gas at the temperature a lot less than Fermi temperature.

Physics Monkey said:
I don't understand the notation you're using to describe the formulas.
Maybe my firefox messed up the formulas.

August said:
I was already aware of the fact that a metal will evaporate even below Fermi temperature. But a metal in a form of gas would still be a metal, and now we can treat the metal as a gas.
You're not treating the metal as a gas. You are treating the free electrons in the metal as a gas.

August said:
I'm wondering why it matters to be at that specific temperature even tho the metal would already be a gas at the temperature a lot less than Fermi temperature.
The point is that electrons will show a quantum behavior for ##T < T_f##, and since ##T_f > T_\mathrm{melt}##, any solid metal will necessarily be in conditions where its electrons have to be considered as a quantum gas (compared to a classical gas).

DrClaude said:
You're not treating the metal as a gas. You are treating the free electrons in the metal as a gas.The point is that electrons will show a quantum behavior for ##T < T_f##, and since ##T_f > T_\mathrm{melt}##, any solid metal will necessarily be in conditions where its electrons have to be considered as a quantum gas (compared to a classical gas).

That's right! It's about the electrons! I'm an idiot.
Thanks a lot !
I don't really know the difference between a quantum gas and a classical gas, but I guess I can google it !

1. What is Fermi Energy and why is it important in physics?

Fermi Energy is the highest energy level that an electron can occupy at absolute zero temperature. It is important in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of electrons in a solid material, such as their conductivity and thermal properties.

2. How is Fermi Energy related to Fermi Temperature?

Fermi Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system, while Fermi Energy is a measure of the highest energy level that an electron can occupy. They are related through the Boltzmann constant and the mass of the electron.

3. Why is it necessary to define Fermi Temperature?

Fermi Temperature is necessary to understand the thermal properties of a material, such as its specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity. It also helps us to predict the behavior of electrons at different temperatures and to understand the phase transitions of a material.

4. How is Fermi Temperature calculated?

Fermi Temperature can be calculated using the Fermi Energy and the Boltzmann constant, according to the formula TF = EF / kB, where TF is the Fermi Temperature, EF is the Fermi Energy, and kB is the Boltzmann constant.

5. Is Fermi Temperature only applicable to electrons?

No, Fermi Temperature can be applied to any system of particles, such as atoms, molecules, or even neutron stars. In these cases, it represents the average kinetic energy of the particles at absolute zero temperature, rather than the highest energy level that an electron can occupy.