1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ferrimagnetism vs ferromagnetism

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    Hello All,

I am trying to learn about the diffrerent types of magnetism and would like to know how we can tell the difference between ferri- and ferromagnetism? Are their any measurements which can distinguish unequivocally between the two types?

Thank you for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

In physics, a ferrimagnetic material is one in which the magnetic moments of the atoms on different sublattices are opposed, as in antiferromagnetism; however, in ferrimagnetic materials, the opposing moments are unequal and a spontaneous magnetization remains. This happens when the sublattices consist of different materials or ions (such as Fe2+ and Fe3+).

Ferrimagnetism is exhibited by ferrites and magnetic garnets. The oldest-known magnetic substance, magnetite (iron(II,III) oxide; Fe3O4), is a ferrimagnet; it was originally classified as a ferromagnet before Néel's discovery of ferrimagnetism and antiferromagnetism in 1948 [1].

Some ferrimagnetic materials are YIG (yttrium iron garnet) and ferrites composed of iron oxides and other elements such as aluminum, cobalt, nickel, manganese and zinc.

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    Hello pallidin,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok so let's assume we are talking about an Fe-oxide for which we don't have any knowledge of the proportions of Fe3+ and Fe2+ but we want to know which type of magnetism it exhibits. Is there a measurement of its magnetic properties we can make which will differentiate between ferri- and ferro? (I know that by implication ferri => some Fe2+)

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  5. Sep 17, 2010 #4
    Thanks. Wish I had more knowledge on this subject.
    Perhaps an expert can jump-in and elucidate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook