Can Ferrofluid Be Used as a Lubricant for Magnets and PVC Pipes?

• Thread starter mrtnelson8
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses using ferrolfluid as a lubricant between a cylindrical neodymium magnet and a pvc pipe, but it is suggested that using oil would be a better option due to potential abrasion caused by the ferromagnetic particles. The idea of using the ferrolfluid as a lubricant is compared to a "high-tech condom" but the mention is dismissed as not being true. The validity of information from another person in the conversation is also questioned.
mrtnelson8
can I use ferrolfluid as a lubricant between a cylindrical neodymium magnet and a pvc pipe that the magnet fits snugly in(still will move back and forth in the pipe but does experience a little friction)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you want to? Realize that "ferrofluid" is a suspension of magnetic particles in oil, and that we have a simple version for lubrication called "oil" that you can get in pretty much any viscosity that you want.

I should imagine that the ferromagnetic particles in the fluid could cause abrasion. This could be relevant in the long term.

Am I the only one here who is thinking "high-tech condom"?

That's a different sort of attraction.

sophiecentaur said:
That's a different sort of attraction.

What! No, wait a minute here! That is so totally not true! It wouldn't count anyhow, because I was drunk. Besides, you can't believe anything that damned muskrat says; she'd do anything for half a gram.

1. What is ferrofluid?

Ferrofluid is a magnetic liquid composed of tiny magnetic particles suspended in a carrier fluid, such as oil or water.

2. How does ferrofluid work as a lubricant?

When a magnetic field is applied, the ferrofluid particles align and form a thin layer between two surfaces, reducing friction and providing lubrication.

3. What are the advantages of using ferrofluid as a lubricant?

Ferrofluid has a high thermal stability, can operate under extreme pressure, and is resistant to oxidation and corrosion. It also has a low coefficient of friction, making it an efficient lubricant.

4. Are there any limitations to using ferrofluid as a lubricant?

Ferrofluid can only be used in applications where a magnetic field can be applied, so it may not be suitable for all types of machinery. It also has a limited load-bearing capacity and may not be as effective in high-speed applications.

5. Can ferrofluid be used in combination with other lubricants?

Yes, ferrofluid can be used in combination with other lubricants to enhance their properties. It can also be used in oil-based or grease-based lubricants to improve their magnetic properties.