Ferromagnetism and Work done by a bar magnet.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic forces and emf in relation to electromagnetism. The example of magnetic forces lifting a weight is used to show how emf does the work against magnetic forces to keep the weight moving upwards. It is also mentioned that in the case of two bar magnets attracting each other, electric forces come into play to increase their kinetic energy at the expense of the original mutual magnetic energy. The conversation also raises the question of whether the dipole currents in an iron magnet reduce in strength when not reinforced with an electric coil. The page and section of the textbook discussing this example is mentioned as well.
siddharth5129
I was just doing a read-through of my freshman griffith's electrodynamics textbook ( I found my comprehension of electrodynamics slipping again ... always gets me edgy ) and I find my self flummoxed yet again. So he goes through an example of magnetic forces lifting a weight, and shows how it's actually the source of emf that's doing the work against magnetic forces to keep the weight moving upwards. This makes perfect sense. So I find that it would make sense when applied to say, two bar magnets attracting one another, if the magnetic forces somehow acted against the microscopic dipole currents and reduce their strength. If the magnet was reinforced with a electric coil, then the source emf would be doing the work against the magnetic forces, no problem there. But if it isn't, do the dipole currents reduce in strength ( in this case, alignment, seeing as the dipole moments that contribute to ferromagnetism are quantized ), as i am forced to conclude? Or am i missing something here? An iron magnet doesn't have an in built source of emf that does the work does it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
On which page of Griffiths' book on electrodynamics is the example described? From you post it is not cleat what the situation looks like.

Section 5.1.3 of the text. Example 5.3, page 210 and 211. Thanks for your time.

emf of the battery does not do work against magnetic forces - those cannot give or accept work. The emf does work against electric field in the source (battery) to maintain voltage and electric field driving the current along the wire. If the current is strong enough, the magnetic force will accelerate the metal upwards. This acceleration goes with induced electric field of the source and the wire itself (due to current distribution changing its position in space) which acts back on the wire and does work against the gravity force. The gravitational potential energy comes from the energy of the battery.

In case of two magnets with solid magnetization, the attraction is due to magnetic forces, but as soon as the magnets are released and accelerate, electric forces kick in and do the work to increase kinetic energy of the magnets. This is at the expense of the original mutual magnetic energy of the magnets.

I can provide some clarification on the concepts of ferromagnetism and work done by a bar magnet. Firstly, ferromagnetism is a phenomenon in which certain materials, such as iron, can become strongly magnetized when exposed to a magnetic field. This is due to the alignment of microscopic dipole moments within the material.

In the example you mentioned, the movement of a weight is caused by the work done by the source of emf (electromotive force) against the magnetic forces. This is because the source of emf is providing energy to overcome the magnetic forces and keep the weight moving upwards.

When it comes to two bar magnets attracting each other, the same concept applies. The magnetic forces between the two magnets are acting against the alignment of dipole moments within the material. However, in this case, there is no external source of emf providing energy to overcome these forces. Instead, it is the inherent properties of the bar magnet, including its dipole moments, that allow it to attract and interact with other magnetic materials.

In short, the dipole moments within a ferromagnetic material do not reduce in strength when interacting with other magnetic materials. It is their alignment and interaction with other magnetic fields that gives rise to their magnetic properties. I hope this helps to clarify any confusion you may have had.

1. What is ferromagnetism?

Ferromagnetism is a phenomenon in which certain materials, such as iron, cobalt, and nickel, exhibit strong attraction towards a magnetic field and can retain their magnetization even after the removal of the field.

2. How does a bar magnet work?

A bar magnet works by aligning the magnetic moments of its atoms in a specific direction, creating a magnetic field around the magnet. This field then interacts with other magnetic fields, causing the magnet to attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

3. Why is work done by a bar magnet important?

Work done by a bar magnet is important because it helps us understand the energy involved in the process of magnetization. It also plays a crucial role in various applications, such as in electric motors and generators.

4. How is work done by a bar magnet calculated?

The work done by a bar magnet can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the change in magnetic moment, or by integrating the product of magnetic field and magnetic moment over the magnetization process.

5. Can a bar magnet lose its magnetization?

Yes, a bar magnet can lose its magnetization over time due to various factors, such as exposure to high temperatures, physical damage, and demagnetizing fields. However, materials with high coercivity, such as Alnico and rare-earth magnets, have a higher resistance to demagnetization, making them more suitable for long-term use.