1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Few questions about solving DE

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See the image here : http://gyazo.com/de17b74fd351f26e2e361ae5d975b390

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm a bit rusty at solving DEs since I was quite far ahead of the rest of the class and haven't practiced much. I'm just wondering if my thoughts about these are correct.

For the first one, I should solve the homogeneous system for a solution yc and then use the method of undetermined coefficients to solve the non-homogeneous one. I believe my particular solution guess should be Y = Ax + b.

Same process for the second one, except my guess should be Y = Asin(2t) + Bcos(2t) + Ce-4t.

For the third one, I'm pretty sure I solve the homogeneous system and then use the method of variation of parameters... or I could use something I figured out on my own time I'm pretty sure. Couldn't I just figure out a particular solution here by using :

[itex]Y(t) = \sum_{m=1}^{n} y_m(t) \int \frac{g(t) W_m(t)}{W(t)}dt[/itex] where ym(t) is one of our known solutions to the homogeneous system, g(t) is our equation on the right hand side of the DE, Wm(t) is the determinant of W obtained by replacing the mth column by (0, 0, 0, ..., 1) ( Cramer's Rule ), and W(t) is the wronskian of my known solutions to the homogeneous equation.

The last one looks ugly. Even though I can solve it using undetermined coefficients, I can tell it's going to get quite messy because if I do, my guess will be :

Y = (At5 + Bt4 + Ct3 + Dt2 + Et + F)e-t

Wouldn't abusing my formula from above again be more desirable here as it would probably reduce the algebra involved?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?