Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fibonacci formula?

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    im just curious. is there a formula for the fibonacci formula in terms of..well terms. like the nth term =..?
    iv been trying to figure it out for a couple of days now but am not that smart.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2
  4. Aug 31, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

You could derive it, if you know enough elementary linear algebra and in particular diagonalisation of matrices. It's not that difficult. You start off with recursive definition of the n+1 and nth term and n-1 term, put them all into a matrix and show that it is diagonalisable, then write out the matrix equation.
  5. Sep 2, 2008 #4
    done the algebra but have only learnt +-x/ matrices.
    how does the n+1 thing work
    like i said am not that smart.
  6. Sep 2, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

There are probably other ways to derive it, but I'm only familiar with the one with matrices. There's a current thread on this here:
  7. Sep 2, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The terms in a Fibonacci sequence obey the recursive rule Fn+2= Fn+1+ Fn. One common way of solving such equations is to try a solution of the form Fn= an. Then Fn+1= an+1 and Fn+2= an+2 so the equation becomes an+2= an+1+ an. Dividing by an gives a2= a+ 1 or a2- a- 1= 0. Solving that by the quadratic formula,
    [tex]a= \frac{1\pm\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]
    In other words,
    [tex]F_n= \left(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n[/tex]
    [tex]F_n= \left(\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n[/tex]
    both satisfy Fn+2= Fn+1+ Fn.

Since that is a linear equation, any solution of that equation can be written
    [tex]A\left(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n+ B\left(\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n[/tex]

Now, looking at the first two terms of the Fibonacci sequence
    [tex]F_0= A+ B= 1[/tex]
    [tex]F_1=A\left(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)+ B\left(\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)= 1[/tex]
    gives two equations to solve for A and B.
  8. Aug 6, 2010 #7

Gold Member

Sorry for the bump, but could you show me how you would solve for A and B?

I'm not able to solve simultaneous equations in this form;

A + B = 1
    Ax + By = 1

9. Aug 6, 2010 #8

Homework Helper

Simply let B=1-A and then substitute this into the second equation, solve for A there and then substitute back into the first to find B.
  10. Aug 7, 2010 #9

Gold Member

Of course! Solving by substitution. Thanks, I forgot about doing that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?