Fiding the coefficent of friction for work done.

In summary, the coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is important for calculating the amount of energy or force needed to move an object over a surface and can be determined through experiments. Factors such as surface nature, weight, and lubricants can affect the coefficient of friction, which can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother materials.
Exiab
For some reason despite what attempts i have made my answers are defiantly not coming out right so any help on even proper setup would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

You have done 2.2kJ of work
to push a 78-kg trunk
3.1 m along a slop inclined upward at 22degrees

What is the coefficient of friction between the trunk and the slope

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the work done's relation with the distance it's moved?

What can you get out of re-arranging the work formula?

Ok i managed to work it out, just took me longer than I liked.

Thank you.

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It represents the amount of force required to move one surface over the other.

2. Why is finding the coefficient of friction important for work done?

The coefficient of friction is important for work done because it allows us to calculate the amount of energy or force needed to move an object over a surface. This information is crucial in understanding the efficiency of machines and the amount of work that can be done in a given situation.

3. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by conducting experiments where the force required to move an object over a surface is measured. By varying the weight and surface material of the object, the coefficient of friction can be calculated using the equation: coefficient of friction = (force required to move object)/(weight of object).

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors including the nature of the surface, the weight of the object, and the presence of any lubricants. Additionally, temperature and humidity can also impact the coefficient of friction.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Additionally, using materials with smoother surfaces or adding ball bearings can also decrease the coefficient of friction.