Field extensions, proving an element is in a field

In summary, according to the speaker, they tried to do rt(2) = a + b(rt(2) + rt(3))but this cannot be true for a, b in Q, how else are you supposed to do this? This is because rt(2) = -(2 + rt(5)) / (rt(2) + rt(3)) which is \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}), not \mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}]. Furthermore, since rt(2) is not in Z[X], it
Firepanda
2vj7xmx.jpg

I can do all the question apart from the 'Conclude rt(2) in an element of Q(rt(2) + rt(3))'

That's all I need help on.

I tried

rt(2) = a + b(rt(2) + rt(3))

squaring it and equating you get

2 = a2 + 5b2 + (some other terms of rt(2) rt(3) rt(5))

but this cannot be true for a, b in Q, how else are you supposed to do this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve for the square root of 2.

Solve what exactly?

You know that [itex](\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})^2 - 2\sqrt{2}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}) - 1 = 0[/itex]. Here, we're fortunate because there is a [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] available that we can isolate.

I tried that before but it left me with something pretty messy when all i wanted to show was it could be written as a + b(rt(2) + rt(3))

i ended up with rt(2) = -(2 + rt(5)) / (rt(2) + rt(3))

Remember that this is [itex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})[/itex], not [itex]\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}][/itex]. Also, I don't see from where the [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] comes.

hmm what's the difference?

guess I was slacking when jotting down notes and didn't realize when they were curvy brackets and not :(

The former is the smallest field containing (root 2 + root 3), which means there are inverses. I've slacked before in math classes, so I know the feeling.

Then that sort of ruins my answer for part i) of

33cou48.jpg

isn't k = {0, 1, T, 1+T} since k = {a + bT | a, b in {0,1}}?

and so g is irreducible since no element of k is a root

but you're saying k isn't {a + bT | a, b in {0,1}}

It turns out that F2(T) contains all quotients of polynomials in F2[T]. Interpret it as the field of fractions of F2[T]. What have you learned that you can apply relating irreducible polynomials over the two?

Probably missed your point but ill take a stab

if it's irreducible in Fp[T], p prime, then it's irreducible in Z[X]

It can be tough to wrap your head around, but the indeterminate variable is X. So from what you proved we know that our polynomial g(X) is irreducible in (F2[T])[X]. It is not even in Z[X]. However, we would like to say something about its irreducibility in (F2(T))[X]. This might remind you of the connection between irreducibility in Z[X] and Q[X].

If it's irreducible in Q[X] then it's irreducible in Z[X] is gauss's lemma, and them I am stumped

Is this point crucial to the solution?

I think it's the opposite, that irreducibility in Z[X] implies irreducibility in Q[X]. I've also just finished studying these kinds of things, so I can't be sure that this is crucial, but it seems so to me. We can use Gauss's lemma to conclude what you need passing from the ring to the field of fractions.

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical concept in algebra that involves extending a smaller field (known as the base field) to a larger field by adding new elements to it. This can be done by adjoining new elements to the base field or by using operations on existing elements in the base field to create new elements.

2. How do you prove an element is in a field extension?

To prove that an element is in a field extension, you need to show that it satisfies all the properties of a field. This includes being closed under addition and multiplication, having inverses for all nonzero elements, and satisfying the distributive property. You also need to show that the element can be written as a linear combination of basis elements in the field extension.

3. What is the significance of proving an element is in a field extension?

Proving that an element is in a field extension is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of the field extension. It also helps us to determine the relationships between different elements in the field extension and how they behave under different operations.

4. Can an element be in multiple field extensions?

Yes, an element can be in multiple field extensions. This is because a field extension is not unique and there can be different ways of extending a base field to create a larger field. In some cases, an element may even belong to an infinite number of field extensions.

5. Is there a difference between proving an element is in a field and proving it is in a field extension?

Yes, there is a difference between proving an element is in a field and proving it is in a field extension. Proving an element is in a field means showing that it satisfies all the properties of a field, while proving it is in a field extension means showing that it satisfies the additional properties of being a member of a larger field created by extending a base field.