1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field of a polarized cylindrical

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem is at Griffiths 4.13. A very long cylinder of radius a with a uniform polarization perpendicular to the axis. The question is to solve for the field inside the cylinder.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\rho_b=P\cdot\hat{n}[/tex] and [tex]\sigma_b=-\nabla\cdot P[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't find a good solution using above equations. Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
    I don't think you need those two equations for this problem. You should be looking at Gauss's Law inside and outside the cylinder.

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    Also, [itex]\rho_b[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_b[/itex] are the bound charges (volume and surface respectively) and are not the electric field.

Is your professor suggesting you solve the problem using them, or did you assume you should since the question by Griffiths is right after the section on the bound charges?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook