Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Figuring resistance and temperature

1. Aug 21, 2010 #1

ISX

I am trying to make a calculator to figure the temperature based on the ohm reading. I have done a lot of measuring with the sensor I am using and the results are in the excel. I tried calculating it with y=mx+b since it is linear but for some reason it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Here is a pic of the excel if you don't want to download it.

http://i38.tinypic.com/1phykz.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you graphed those points? (Excel should be able to do that for you.)

Does the graph look like anything familiar? If it is a straight line, it would be easy. If it looks like a parabola, cubic, exponential, etc. you can write out the general formula for such, the put in enough of your values to determine what the constants in the formula are.

4. Aug 22, 2010 #3
    Plotting a scatter plot in Excel gives not a straight line but a downward curve, something like a falling exponential or perhaps y = 1/x. y = mx+b won't fit well even with negative m. The fact that resistance decreases with temperature suggests that your sensor is a thermistor (or other semiconductor device), and thermistors are not linear. Metal wires have resistance that increases with temperature linearly for a moderate range. You might find a suitable equation for your sensor on spec sheets for thermistors or other semiconductor temperature sensors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook