Final Statements of Executed Offenders in Texas

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary, David Spence said goodbye to his children and wished them well before he was executed for the murder of three teenagers.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Got http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm" from a blog. It's a list of convicted offenders who've been executed in Texas and their final statements. Call me weird, but I find them fascinating to read.

Uh, I don't know, Um, I don't know what to say. I don't know. (pauses) I didn't know anybody was there. Howdy.

Jennifer, where are you at? I'm sorry, I did not know the man but for a few seconds before I shot him. It was done out of fear, stupidity, and immaturity. It wasn't until I got locked up and saw the newspaper. I saw his face and his smile and I knew he was a good man. I am sorry for all your family and my disrespect - he deserved better. Sorry Gus. I hope all the best for you and your daughters. I hope you have happiness from here on out. Quit the heroin and methadone. I love you dad, Devin, and Walt. We're done Warden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call me weird, but I find them fascinating to read.

How disturbing :bugeye:

Jennifer, where are you at? I'm sorry, I did not know the man but for a few seconds before I shot him. It was done out of fear, stupidity, and immaturity. It wasn't until I got locked up and saw the newspaper. I saw his face and his smile and I knew he was a good man. I am sorry for all your family and my disrespect - he deserved better. Sorry Gus. I hope all the best for you and your daughters. I hope you have happiness from here on out. Quit the heroin and methadone. I love you dad, Devin, and Walt. We're done Warden.
Looks like a dumb jury sentenced this guy.

Moridin said:
How disturbing :bugeye:

I know :tongue2:

I wonder how many of them were actually innocent.

Last edited:
Profanity directed toward staff.
Way to go buddy!

I liked this one:

You guys forgot to plug-in the chair

Franklin was seen by two witnesses driving his car at a high rate of speed from the parking lot

I didnt know they used a high rate of speed to describe acceleration in the criminal statements! :smiles:

Here's another one:

David Spence

David Spence - Texas Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997
Spence was charged with murdering three teenagers in 1982. He was allegedly hired by a convenience store owner to kill another girl, and killed these victims by mistake. The convenience store owner, Muneer Deeb, was originally convicted and sentenced to death, but then was acquitted at a re-trial. The police lieutenant who supervised the investigation of Spence, Marvin Horton, later concluded: "I do not think David Spence committed this crime." Ramon Salinas, the homicide detective who actually conducted the investigation, said: "My opinion is that David Spence was innocent. Nothing from the investigation ever led us to any evidence that he was involved." No physical evidence connected Spence to the crime. The case against Spence was pursued by a zealous narcotics cop who relied on testimony of prison inmates who were granted favors in return for testimony.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?&did=2238

Last words:
Yes, I do. First of all, I want you to understand I speak the truth when I say I didn’t kill your kids. Honestly I have not killed anyone. I wish you could get the rage from your hearts and you could see the truth and get rid of the hatred.

I love you all – (names of children) – Corey, Steve (garbled) – This is very important. I love ya’ll and I miss ya’ll. O.K., now I’m finished.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/spencedavidlast.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Final Statement of an Executed Offender?

A Final Statement of an Executed Offender is a written statement made by a prisoner before their execution in Texas. It is typically a few sentences to a few paragraphs long and is made public after the execution.

2. Why are Final Statements of Executed Offenders in Texas made public?

The state of Texas has a long-standing tradition of making the final statements of executed offenders public. This is done to provide transparency and accountability for the state's use of the death penalty.

3. How are Final Statements of Executed Offenders in Texas obtained?

Final Statements of Executed Offenders in Texas are obtained through public records requests to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. These statements are also often shared by media outlets and advocacy groups.

4. What do Final Statements of Executed Offenders in Texas typically contain?

Final Statements of Executed Offenders in Texas typically contain a combination of personal reflections, apologies, and final messages to loved ones. Some statements may also include political statements or statements of innocence.

5. Are Final Statements of Executed Offenders in Texas considered reliable sources of information?

No, Final Statements of Executed Offenders in Texas should not be considered reliable sources of information. These statements are made under extreme duress and may not accurately reflect the offender's true thoughts and feelings. Additionally, the state of Texas does not fact-check these statements before making them public.