Find 100th Derivative of f(x) = x/(1+x^2) at 1

  • Thread starter Thread starter eok20
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
eok20
Messages
198
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the 100th derivative at 1 of f(x) = x/(1+x^2)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


For |x| < 1 I can write f as a power series (since 1/(1+x^2) = sum_n (-1)^n x^(2n)) but this won't work at 1. I tried writing out the first few derivatives at 1 explicitly but things got pretty messy. Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm missing something but since this is a second-order equation, aren't all derivatives past the second one zero?
 
Fleem, it is a fraction.

Hint: split it in partial fractions.
 
Count Iblis said:
Fleem, it is a fraction.

Hint: split it in partial fractions.

I need glasses.
 
eok20 said:

The Attempt at a Solution


For |x| < 1 I can write f as a power series (since 1/(1+x^2) = sum_n (-1)^n x^(2n)) but this won't work at 1. I tried writing out the first few derivatives at 1 explicitly but things got pretty messy. Any ideas?

Are you just trying to find the derivative at one point? If so, and you are trying to find the derivative at the point x=1, then why not do the power series at about x=1. If you use partial fractions as another poster suggested, the roots will be +/=i so I think the series should converge