1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a formula for the intersection math

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1
    Let I=(a,b) and J=(c,d) with I and J having a nonempty intersection. Find a formula for the intersection of I and J and prove it.

When a<c I have found that the intersection is [c,b]. Now I need to prove that it is. The way I intend to prove it is by showing that [c,b] and the intersection of I and J are both subsets of each other. I've done one, [c,b] being a subset of I intersect J.

I intersect J being a subset of [c,b] is a bit trickier. I've broken it down to:

let x be an element of I intersect J then x is an element of I and x is an element of J. Then:

a<=x<=b and c<=x<=d.

Now this is where I'm stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are I and J sets? Like on the real line?

4. Sep 8, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If a<c, how do you know if c<b to make an intersection of [c,b]? And, how can an intersection of two open sets become closed?

If a<c and b<c, then there is no intersection.

5. Sep 8, 2006 #4
    Ooops. Yes, I and J are intervals. Intersection is nonempty.

6. Sep 8, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's a formula for solving this?

Note: The intersection of two open intervals is an open interval, so I don't know why you represent the intersection as a closed interval.

You said if a<c, then the intersection is NOT [c,b] or necessarily (c,b) because what if d<b, then the intersection is in fact (c,d) and not (c,b) like you're assuming.

7. Sep 9, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you want to do well in Analysis, you are going to have to make an effort to at least write things correctly!. (a, b) is not the same as [a,b] and you are confusing the two.

No, you haven't- for two reasons. First, as others said, the intersection of the two open intervals, (a,b) and (c,d) cannot be the closed interval (c,b)- you are being careless with your notation. More importantly, what if a= 0, b= 10, c= 1, d= 2- that is, I= (0, 10) and J= (1, 2). Then the intersection is (1, 2), not (1, 10).

8. Sep 9, 2006 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

There are only four possibilities that produce a non-empty intersection, namely:

a < c < b < d
    a < c < d < b
    c < a < b < d
    c < a < d < b

now convince yourself that [tex]I\cap J = (a,b)\cap (c,d) = \left( \max \{ a,c\} , \min \{b,d\} \right)[/tex]

9. Sep 9, 2006 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never said that!

10. Sep 9, 2006 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I was thinking.

11. Sep 9, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Never said what?

In your first post you definitely did say

12. Sep 9, 2006 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No he didn't. Zoix wrote it. Just scroll upwards....

13. Sep 9, 2006 #12
    I wasn't being careless in notation. I do know the difference between closed and open intervals, and their specific notation. I did indeed use notation for both open and closed intervals in my OP. I made the mistake that I thought the intersection would be a closed interval (which is why I used closed interval notation)...since they overlap they would have both, but I realize the error in this. I hope you realize your error too.

14. Nov 22, 2007 #13
    Just falling on this I thought it was funny. Actually, I think there are 9 possibilities of nonempty intersection:

a < c < b < d
    a < c < d < b
    c < a < b < d
    c < a < d < b
    a = c < b < d
    a = c < d < b
    a < c < b = d
    c < a < b = d
    a = c < b = d

Still get [tex]I\cap J = (a,b)\cap (c,d) = \left( \max \{ a,c\} , \min \{b,d\} \right)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?