Find a Machinable Plastic/Glass Torus - R=15cm, r=8cm

  • Thread starter Thread starter TESL@
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Torus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
TESL@
Messages
122
Reaction score
8
Hello,

Do you know any online source where I can purchase a plastic or glass torus which can be machined easily? The requirements are low conductivity and high temperature resistance. (I know it is unlikely for plastics, but worth asking)

Thank you.

edit: Forgot to tell dimensions:

R = 15 cm
r = 8 cm
Thickness = -
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
TESL@ said:
Hello,

Do you know any online source where I can purchase a plastic or glass torus which can be machined easily? The requirements are low conductivity and high temperature resistance. (I know it is unlikely for plastics, but worth asking)

Thank you.

edit: Forgot to tell dimensions:

R = 15 cm
r = 8 cm
Thickness = -

Are you in the US? You might try contacting Tap Plastics to see if they have any ideas: http://www.tapplastics.com/

Beyond that, you could look into casting the torus yourself maybe...?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TESL@
TESL@ said:
Hello,

Do you know any online source where I can purchase a plastic or glass torus which can be machined easily? The requirements are low conductivity and high temperature resistance. (I know it is unlikely for plastics, but worth asking)

Thank you.

edit: Forgot to tell dimensions:

R = 15 cm
r = 8 cm
Thickness = -
Try... this material... "Macor machinable ceramics", link to:www.ceramicproductsinc.com
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TESL@ and berkeman
Eddie Sines said:
Try... this material... "Macor machinable ceramics", link to:www.ceramicproductsinc.com
This stuff cuts like a dream in the lath.. you can make anything with it...be sure your tools are very sharp... diamond tipped if possible, cut slow and you'll be able to make
device with no problems. -e
 
Thank you! I am not in the US but I will contact them and see if they can ship me.
 
TESL@ said:
Thank you! I am not in the US but I will contact them and see if they can ship me.
Like your picture of Tesla... one of my favorite people in history. BTW, I am working on one of Nikola Tesla's concepts...a new method of generating electricity using solid state principles. If you're familiar with his patents maybe we could chat some more. Regards, -e