1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find acceleration of a box given the forces on it...

Tags:
  1. Nov 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A(n) 895 N crate is being pushed across a level floor by a force of 397 N at an angle of 21◦ above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.24. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s.

j7ckxjM.png

What is the acceleration of the box? Answer in units of m/s/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    to find mass, Fg = mg
    895 = m9.8
    m = 91.3265

I've tried
    ΣFy = FN - mg - FAsinθ
    ΣFy = FN - mg - FAsinθ = ma
    ΣFy = FN - mg - FAsinθ = 0
    FN = mg + 397sin21
    FN = 895 + 142.272
    FN = 1037.27

∑Fx = FAcosθ - Ff
    ∑Fx = 397cos21 - (0.24)(1037.27)
    397cos21 - (0.24)(1037.27) = ma
    397cos21 - (0.24)(1037.27) = (91.3265)a
    = 1.33 m/s/s but this is not correct

can anyone tell me where i went wrong/what is the correct way? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Note: ##\sum\vec F = m\vec a = (mg)\vec a/g \implies \vec a/g = \frac{1}{mg}\sum\vec F## ... ie. the net force divided by the weight is the acceleration in gees.
    ie. your answer would have been a = 0.14g. Then, no need to do that 1st division risking a possible rounding error.

I bring this up because your reasoning seems fine - so the error will be in arithmetic or rounding off or something like that... or a mistake in the problem itself.

So redo from the start...
    Info:
    W=895N, F=397N, ##\theta##=21deg, ##\mu##=0.24
    ... the task is to derive an equation for the acceleration in terms of just these 4 things.

Off free body diagram ##\sum\vec F = m\vec a## :
    (1) ##F\cos\theta - \mu N = ma = (W/g)a## since ##W=mg##
    (2) ##N-W-F\sin\theta = 0##
    (N=normal force)

Do all the algebra first - when you have derived the final equatio, then you can put the numerical values in.

4. Nov 16, 2016 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The problem describes the applied force as having an angle of 21° above the horizontal, but the diagram seems to show it as directed below the horizontal. Could it be that the diagram is not right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted