Find all points on graph of f(x)=2sinx+sin^2x where slope = 0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 35K views
illjazz
Messages
59
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find all points on the graph of the function

[tex]f(x)=2sinx+sin^2x[/tex]

at which the tangent line is horizontal.


Homework Equations


- Power rule
- Chain rule
- Product rule?



The Attempt at a Solution


So I want all points at which the tangent line to this function has a slope of zero.

[tex]f(x)=2sinx+sin^2x[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=2cosx+(sinx)^2[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=2cosx+2sinx*\frac{d}{dx}sinx[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=2cosx+2sinx*cosx[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=cosx(2+2sinx)[/tex]

...?

How do I go from here? I know to set that last equation equal to zero and find all the solutions, but just how do I find those solutions?

The solution from the book says:
[tex](\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi,3),(\frac{3\pi}{2}+2n\pi,-1)[/tex] where n an integer
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:
Slope=0 means f'(x)=0

then you use the general rule that if AB=0 then,A=0,B=0
Right, I know.. but I don't see how to arrive at those values given in the solution. Is my calculator required here?
 
First, think back to algebra when you had those equations like (x-4)(x-2)=0, and you solved them by setting up two possibilities: either x-4=0, or x-2=0. You can use the same principle here.

If [tex]cosx=0[/tex], or if [tex]2+2sinx=0[/tex], then [tex]f'(x)=0[/tex].

Now simply find all the points where this can happen. You don't need a calculator - simple trigonometry can help. Where is [tex]cosx=0[/tex]? And where is [tex]sinx=-1[/tex]?
 
illjazz said:
Find all points on the graph of the function

[tex]f(x)=2sinx+sin^2x[/tex]

at which the tangent line is horizontal.
…
The solution from the book says:
[tex](\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi,3),(\frac{3\pi}{2}+2n\pi,-1)[/tex] where n an integer

illjazz said:
.. but I don't see how to arrive at those values given in the solution. Is my calculator required here?

Hi illjazz! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a squared: ² :smile:)

I think you're misunderstanding the notation in the solution.

sin(π/2 + 2nπ) = sin(π/2) = 1, and so f(π/2 + 2nπ) = 3.

sin(3π/2 + 2nπ) = sin(3π/2) = … ?, and so f(3π/2 + 2nπ) = … ?. :smile:
 
illjazz said:

Homework Statement


Find all points on the graph of the function

[tex]f(x)=2sinx+sin^2x[/tex]

at which the tangent line is horizontal.


Homework Equations


- Power rule
- Chain rule
- Product rule?



The Attempt at a Solution


So I want all points at which the tangent line to this function has a slope of zero.

[tex]f(x)=2sinx+sin^2x[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=2cosx+(sinx)^2[/tex]
No, it is not. I know what you mean but this is terrible notation. You mean
[tex]f'(x)= 2 cosx+ \frac{d}{dx} (sin x)^2[/tex]


[tex]f'(x)=2cosx+2sinx*\frac{d}{dx}sinx[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=2cosx+2sinx*cosx[/tex]
Okay, now that is correct.

[tex]f'(x)=cosx(2+2sinx)[/tex]
But why did you do this? Just solve 2cos x+ 2 sin x cos x= 0. That is the same as
2 cos x (1+ 2 sin x)= 0 which means either cos x= 0 or 1+ 2 sin x= 0. That is easy to solve.

...?

How do I go from here? I know to set that last equation equal to zero and find all the solutions, but just how do I find those solutions?

The solution from the book says:
[tex](\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi,3),(\frac{3\pi}{2}+2n\pi,-1)[/tex] where n an integer