1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all real and complex zeros of h(x)

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It's asking me to find all the real and complex zeros of the function x^3 + 2x^2 - 16.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried factoring the first 2 terms and i come up with x2(x+2) - 16 but I don't know where to go from there. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is not really a very good start. Instead you should see if you can find a number r such that x3 + 2x2 - 16 = (x - r) * (x2 + lower degree terms).

The Rational Root Theorem (you can search for this on the web) says that if r is a root of your cubic polynomial, it has to be a number that evenly divides -16. The only candidates are ±1, ±2, ±4, ±8, and ±16. Does your textbook mention this theorem? Does your textbook show any examples of similar problems? Do you read your textbook?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted