Find all solutions in positive integers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions in positive integers for the equation a!b! = a! + b! + c!, with the only known solution being a=3, b=3, and c=4. The conversation then delves into finding other solutions, with the conclusion being that without loss of generality, a=b=c. Further analysis shows that there are no solutions for a>3, proving that a! \equiv 0 \pmod {a+1} whenever a>3. The conversation ends with a clarification and gratitude for the help.
xsm113r
Find all solutions in positive integers a; b; c to the equation
a!b! = a! + b! + c!

I have rearranged and got (a!-1)(b!-1) = c!+1

And the only solutions I can find are a=3 b=3 c=4 but I can't be sure that they are the only ones. How would I go about finding other solutions?

I have tried b=1 to 4 but after that the numbers start getting a bit big

Physics news on Phys.org

It's clear that we without loss of generality can assume [itex]a \leq b \leq c[/itex]. Consider the equation modulo b!. Then you get
[tex]a! \equiv a! + c! \equiv 0 \pmod {b!}[/tex]
so [itex]b! \, | \, a![/itex] and therefore you must have [itex]a=b[/itex]. Now you can substitute and see [itex]c! = a!(a!-2)[/itex] which you can prove has no solution for a > 3 by noting that if a+1 is prime, then a+1 divides c!, but not a!(a!-2) which is a contradiction; and if a+1=pn is composite with p the smallest possible prime then p and n divide a! so if p and n are not equal a+1=pn|a! and if they are equal, then [itex]a+1=p^2[/itex] so [itex]p,2p \leq a[/itex] for a>3 which proves a+1 | a!. Together this shows [itex]a! \equiv 0 \pmod {a+1}[/itex] whenever a>3 and since [itex]a+1 | a!-2[/itex] we have:
[tex]2 \equiv a! \equiv 0 \pmod {a+1}[/tex]

Isn't a! + 1 + c! equivalent to 0 (mod b!) though?

Sorry...Just thought about it...I think I get it now.

Thanks for your help

What does "Find all solutions in positive integers" mean?

"Find all solutions in positive integers" refers to finding a set of numbers that satisfy a given mathematical equation or problem, where the numbers must be greater than zero and can only be whole numbers (no fractions or decimals).

Why is it important to specify "positive integers" in this problem?

Specifying "positive integers" narrows down the set of possible solutions and prevents the inclusion of negative numbers or non-whole numbers, which may not be applicable or desired in certain mathematical contexts.

How do you determine if a solution in positive integers is valid?

To determine if a solution in positive integers is valid, you must plug the given numbers into the equation or problem and see if it satisfies all of the conditions. If the solution is a whole number and is greater than zero, it is considered a valid solution in positive integers.

What strategies can be used to find all solutions in positive integers?

One strategy is to first list out all possible combinations of positive integers that could potentially satisfy the equation or problem, and then test each combination to see if it is a valid solution. Another strategy is to use algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, to solve for the unknown variables in the equation and determine the corresponding values of positive integers.

Are there any limitations to finding all solutions in positive integers?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the complexity of the equation or problem. For example, some problems may have an infinite number of possible solutions, making it impossible to find and list out all of them. Additionally, finding all solutions in positive integers may not be feasible or practical for extremely large or complex problems.