1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all solutions in positive integers

1. Dec 29, 2009 #1
    Find all solutions in positive integers a; b; c to the equation
    a!b! = a! + b! + c!

I have rearranged and got (a!-1)(b!-1) = c!+1

And the only solutions I can find are a=3 b=3 c=4 but I can't be sure that they are the only ones. How would I go about finding other solutions?

I have tried b=1 to 4 but after that the numbers start getting a bit big

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2009 #2
    Re: Factorials

It's clear that we without loss of generality can assume [itex]a \leq b \leq c[/itex]. Consider the equation modulo b!. Then you get
    [tex]a! \equiv a! + c! \equiv 0 \pmod {b!}[/tex]
    so [itex]b! \, | \, a![/itex] and therefore you must have [itex]a=b[/itex]. Now you can substitute and see [itex]c! = a!(a!-2)[/itex] which you can prove has no solution for a > 3 by noting that if a+1 is prime, then a+1 divides c!, but not a!(a!-2) which is a contradiction; and if a+1=pn is composite with p the smallest possible prime then p and n divide a! so if p and n are not equal a+1=pn|a! and if they are equal, then [itex]a+1=p^2[/itex] so [itex]p,2p \leq a[/itex] for a>3 which proves a+1 | a!. Together this shows [itex]a! \equiv 0 \pmod {a+1}[/itex] whenever a>3 and since [itex]a+1 | a!-2[/itex] we have:
    [tex]2 \equiv a! \equiv 0 \pmod {a+1}[/tex]

4. Dec 30, 2009 #3

Isn't a! + 1 + c! equivalent to 0 (mod b!) though?

5. Dec 30, 2009 #4

Sorry...Just thought about it...I think I get it now.

Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook