Find all solutions (integral surfaces)

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathgirl1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary, the given equation V \cdot \triangledown u = 0 can be rewritten as u_r + u_r * cos(t) = 0, which leads to the solution u(x,y,z) = (0, 0, 0) with the given condition u(r(t)) = constant. The constant C is equal to u at any point, such as (0, 0, 0).
mathgirl1
Find all solutions u(x,y,z) to \(\displaystyle V \cdot \triangledown u = 0\) where V=(1,1,z) and u(r(t)) = constant where r(t)=<x=t, y=0, z=sin(t)>. What are the constants?

It has been a really long time since I've done Diff Eq and just trying to prepare to take a grad level course in the Spring. From the following you will be able to tell that I am really lost. But here is what I've tried.

From this I get that u(x,y,z) = <x, 0, sin x> so that u(r(t)) = <t, 0, sin(t)>
So \(\displaystyle V \cdot \triangledown u = <1,1,z> \cdot <\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}>=<1,1,z> \cdot <1, 0, 0>=<1, 0, 0>\) Not really sure where to go from here and I don't really think the "plug n chug" method for this equation is the correct method to solve.

I found something that \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}=P(x,y,z), \frac{dy}{dt}=Q(x,y,z), \frac{dz}{dt}=R(x,y,z)\) So then I would have 1=1 0=1, cos(t)=z? Which doesn't even make sense to me. But I figure I have my u(x,y,z) wrong?

Obviously I am at a total loss and haven't found much online to help me either. Can anyone give me a general step-by-step on how to solve these types of problems? I would really appreciate any help and direction on how to solve this. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, don't worry if you feel lost with this type of problem, it can be challenging but with some practice and understanding it can become easier.

Let's start by rewriting the given equation as:

Vx * u_x + Vy * u_y + Vz * u_z = 0

Where Vx, Vy, and Vz are the components of the vector V=(1,1,z).

Next, we can use the chain rule to rewrite u_x and u_y in terms of t, since u is a function of r(t).

u_x = u_r * r_x = u_r * 1 = u_r
u_y = u_r * r_y = u_r * 0 = 0

Similarly, we can rewrite u_z in terms of t using the chain rule:

u_z = u_r * r_z = u_r * cos(t)

Now, plugging these into our original equation, we get:

u_r + u_r * cos(t) = 0

Solving for u_r, we get:

u_r = 0

This means that u is a constant function, and we can rewrite it as:

u(x,y,z) = C

Where C is some constant.

Finally, we can use the given condition u(r(t)) = constant to solve for the value of C. Plugging in the coordinates of r(t), we get:

u(t,0,sin(t)) = C

Since u is a constant function, this means that u is equal to C for all values of t, y, and z. Therefore, the constant C is simply the value of u at any point, for example:

C = u(0,0,0) = (0, 0, sin(0)) = (0, 0, 0)

So the solution to this problem is:

u(x,y,z) = (0, 0, 0)

I hope this helps and gives you a better understanding of how to approach these types of problems. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your grad level course!

What are integral surfaces?

Integral surfaces refer to a set of curves or surfaces that satisfy a given differential equation. They can be used to represent solutions to the differential equation and can provide insight into the behavior of the system.

Why is it important to find all solutions (integral surfaces)?

Finding all solutions (integral surfaces) is important because it allows us to fully understand the behavior of a system described by a differential equation. This can help us make predictions and analyze the system's behavior under different conditions.

How do you find all solutions (integral surfaces) to a given differential equation?

There are various methods for finding all solutions (integral surfaces) to a given differential equation. These include analytical methods, such as separation of variables or using a specific formula, as well as numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

What factors can affect the number of solutions (integral surfaces) to a given differential equation?

The number of solutions (integral surfaces) to a given differential equation can be affected by various factors, such as the initial conditions, the form of the differential equation, and the range of values for the independent variable. Additionally, the existence and uniqueness of solutions can also play a role.

How can integral surfaces be visualized?

Integral surfaces can be visualized in different ways, depending on the form of the differential equation. For example, for 2-dimensional systems, integral surfaces can be represented as curves in a 2D coordinate system, while for 3-dimensional systems, they can be represented as surfaces in a 3D coordinate system. Other methods, such as phase portraits or vector fields, can also be used to visualize integral surfaces.