Find an equation for the tangent line

In summary, the function F is defined as the integral of (2t-1)/(t+2) from 1 to the square root of x for all real numbers x≥0. The value of F(1) is 0 since the interval of integration is from 1 to 1. To find F'(1), you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the chain rule, or you can divide (2t-1) by (t+2) using polynomial long division. The tangent line to the graph of F at x=1 can be found by evaluating F'(1) and using the point-slope formula. To determine the intervals where F is increasing, we can use the relationship between
aaaron417
suppose the function F is define by F(x)=[integral from 1 to √x] (2t-1)/(t+2)dt for all real numbers x≥0

A.) evaluate F(1)
B.) Evaluate F'(1)
C.)Find an equation for the tangent line to the graph of F at the point where x=1
D.) on what intervals is the function F increasing? justify your answer

please help if you understand, I am sorry about the integral sign i don't think there is a symbol for that.

Physics news on Phys.org

aaaron417 said:
suppose the function F is define by F(x)=[integral from 1 to √x] (2t-1)/(t+2)dt for all real numbers x≥0

A.) evaluate F(1)
B.) Evaluate F'(1)
C.)Find an equation for the tangent line to the graph of F at the point where x=1
D.) on what intervals is the function F increasing? justify your answer

please help if you understand, I am sorry about the integral sign i don't think there is a symbol for that.

You have

[tex]F(x) = \int_1^{\sqrt{x}} \frac{2t-1}{t+2}\ dt[/tex]

(A) Write down exactly what F(1) is using your formula and stare at the limits of integration for a few seconds.
(B) Consider the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (you will need to apply the chain rule, too)
(C) Should be easy once you have (A) and (B)
(D) How does the sign of the derivative of any function relate to whether the function is increasing/decreasing?

i know it should be simple, i don't know how to integrate 2t-1/t+2 help me out

Try substituting u=t+2.

ok what about part b i used the fundamental rule but what about finding it?

PhaseShifter said:
Try substituting u=t+2.
Alternatively, you can just divide 2t -1 by t + 2 using polynomial long division.

aaaron417 said:
ok what about part b i used the fundamental rule but what about finding it?
Show us what you did in using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

aaaron417 said:
i know it should be simple, i don't know how to integrate 2t-1/t+2 help me out

Don't focus on what the integrand is; focus on the limits. Let's just call the integrand g(t). When x=1, you get

[tex]F(1) = \int_1^{1} g(t)\ dt[/tex]

Again, stare at the limits of integration... can you visualize the "interval" over which you are integrating?

The point is that while you _can_ integrate, you actually do not need to do ANY sort of computation if you take a closer look at your integral.

Last edited:

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at exactly one point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. Why is it important to find an equation for the tangent line?

Finding an equation for the tangent line allows us to accurately determine the slope of a curve at a specific point. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating rates of change and predicting future values.

3. How do you find an equation for the tangent line?

To find an equation for the tangent line, we need to first find the slope of the curve at the desired point. This can be done using calculus techniques such as taking the derivative. Then, we can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

4. Can the equation for the tangent line change at different points on the curve?

Yes, the equation for the tangent line will be different at different points on the curve. This is because the slope of the curve, and therefore the slope of the tangent line, will change at different points.

5. Is the equation for the tangent line always a straight line?

Yes, the equation for the tangent line will always be a straight line. This is because the tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve, which is always a straight line at that point.