Find an expression for the electrostatic energy of this charge distribution.

In summary, the conversation involves finding the distance for the diagonals of a square with given side length and charges, and simplifying the equation using symbolic substitutions and simplification techniques.
warnexus

Homework Statement

electro.jpg

Homework Equations

work = kqqq/(distance)

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/warnexus/electrodiag.jpg

energyexpression.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the distance you've used for the diagonals. Substitute 'q' and 'q/2' for the appropriate charges and simplify.

the distance I used for the diagonals is sqrt of a. I do not understand I do not have q/2.

warnexus said:
the distance I used for the diagonals is sqrt of a. I do not understand I do not have q/2.

Is the length of a diagonal of a square of side length a equal to √a ?

You have two sizes of charge: One is 'q', the other is 'q/2'. Make the appropriate symbolic substitutions.

gneill said:
Is the length of a diagonal of a square of side length a equal to √a ?

You have two sizes of charge: One is 'q', the other is 'q/2'. Make the appropriate symbolic substitutions.

oops the diagonal is suppose to be sqrt 2a^2.

heres the substitutions:

k(qq/a + qq/sqrt(2a^2) + qq/a -1/2qq/a -1/2qq/a -1/2qq/sqrt(2a^2))

Last edited:
Okay, but you can simplify further. For example, you can pull out the q2 from each term.

gneill said:
Okay, but you can simplify further. For example, you can pull out the q2 from each term.

heres the simplification

kqq(1/a + 1/sqrt(2a^2) + 1/a - (1/a) - (1/2)/sqrt (2a^2)

You can collect the terms, putting them over a common denominator...

1. What is electrostatic energy?

Electrostatic energy is the potential energy stored in a system of charges due to their mutual attraction or repulsion. It is a form of energy that results from the separation of positive and negative charges.

2. How is electrostatic energy related to charge distribution?

The electrostatic energy of a system is directly proportional to the charge distribution within that system. The more the charges are separated, the higher the electrostatic energy will be.

3. What is the expression for electrostatic energy?

The expression for electrostatic energy is E = (1/2) * ∑ij (qi*qj)/4πε0rij, where E is the electrostatic energy, qi and qj are the charges, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and rij is the distance between the charges.

4. How is electrostatic energy calculated?

To calculate the electrostatic energy, we need to know the charge distribution and the distance between each pair of charges. We can then use the expression E = (1/2) * ∑ij (qi*qj)/4πε0rij to calculate the total electrostatic energy of the system.

5. Why is it important to find the expression for electrostatic energy of a charge distribution?

Knowing the expression for electrostatic energy allows us to understand the behavior and interactions of charged particles in a system. It also helps us in practical applications, such as designing electronic devices and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields.