1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find d/dx of hyperbolic function

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] find d/dx of hyperbolic function

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find:
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    d/dx f(x)*g(x) = f(x) * d/dx g(x) + g(x) * d/dx f(x)
    d/dx f(g(x)) = d/dx f(g(x))* d/dx g(x)
    d/dx sinh x = cosh x
    d/dx cosh x = sinh x

3. The attempt at a solution
    [​IMG]

Can this be further simplified? When I run it in maple I get:
    [​IMG]

I'm probably going to be posting here often so let me give you a little background. I am beginning calc II by correspondence. It is the last course of my undergrad and I haven't done any pure math courses in a while. I think things are going alright so far but without a prof or fellow students I sometimes become stuck or find it difficult to check an answer in a way that allows me to move on to the next question with confidence. I thought maple might help me check my answers but in this case it's left me more confused. Thanks for reading!

P.S. How do I use special math characters (like infinite etc.) in my post as have seen some people do?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you have is perfectly correct. I can't speak for the Maple (especially not if they include "ln(e)" in the answer!

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I expect it's simply a matter of applying a (hyperbolic) trig identity to show they are equal.

Plugging in 5 or 6 (non-special!) values of x should, at least, give you high confidence that those expressions are, in fact, equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?