Find delta given epsilon limits

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to bound the function expression |\sqrt{x}-2| in terms of delta, using the general bound 0<|x-4|<\delta and the given value of epsilon = 0.05. The steps suggested include manipulating the expression and setting delta to be less than 2 times epsilon in order to prove the continuity of the function at x=4 and ensure that the expression is bounded by epsilon.
John O' Meara
I have started studying maths on my own using a University maths book that may not lend itself to self study. So I was hoping someone could help me with the following.abs{sqrt{x}-2} < .05 if 0 < abs{x-4} < delta. I rewrite this as abs{sqrt{x}-2} < .05 if abs{(sqrt{x}+2)(sqrt{x}-2)} < delta. epsilon =.05. So what is my next step? Thanks for the help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is one way you could go:

1. Forget about epsilon to begin with!

2. Instead, try to bound the function expression, i.e, [itex]|\sqrt{x}-2|[/itex] in terms of a delta!

3. Now, we can start with:
[tex]|\sqrt{x}-2}|=\frac{|\sqrt{x}-2|*|\sqrt{x}+2|}{|\sqrt{x}+2|}=\frac{|x-4|}{\sqrt{x}+2}[/tex]

4. Now, consider the fraction we arrived at in 3, which is equal to our original function expression.
Can we BOUND this in terms of delta, if we ASSUME that we have the general bound [tex]0<|x-4|<\delta[/tex]?

Sure we can!

Evidently, we have: [tex]\frac{|x-4|}{\sqrt{x}+2}<\frac{\delta}{\sqrt{x}+2}[/tex]

Agreed thus far?

5. WHAT ABOUT THE DENOMINATOR?

Remember that [itex]\sqrt{x}>0[/itex], so clearly, we have [itex]\sqrt{x}+2>2[/itex]

But, therefore, we must have:
[tex]\frac{\delta}{\sqrt{x}+2}<\frac{\delta}{2}[/tex]!

6. RECAPITULATION:

We have proven that IF [itex]0<|x-4|<\delta[/itex], THEN we have:
[tex]|\sqrt{x}-2|<\frac{\delta}{2}[/tex]

7. INTRODUCTION OF EPSILON:

Now, obviously, as long as delta fulfils [itex]\delta<2\epsilon[/itex], we get:
[tex]|\sqrt{x}-2|<\frac{\delta}{2}<\frac{2\epsilon}{2}=\epsilon[/tex]

Thus, we have proved the continuity of our function at x=4, AND also, that by setting [itex]\delta<2\epsilon[/itex], we are ensured that our function expression will be bounded by epsilon.

8. TRANSLATION INTO CASE EPSILON=0.5
Just set delta=2*0.5=1 (yes, the equality works, too here), that is, we are in the interval 3<x<5.

Then, we are ensured that our expression is bounded by 0.5

Thanks for helping arildno

1. What is the definition of "Find delta given epsilon limits"?

The process of finding a suitable value for delta that satisfies the given epsilon limit in a mathematical limit problem is known as "Find delta given epsilon limits".

2. Why is it important to find delta given epsilon limits?

Finding delta given epsilon limits is important because it helps us determine the behavior of a function near a specific point and understand the limit of the function at that point.

3. How do you find delta given epsilon limits?

To find delta given epsilon limits, we first need to set up an inequality that relates delta and epsilon, and then manipulate it to isolate delta. This can be done by using algebraic techniques or graphically by plotting the function and the given epsilon limit.

4. What are some common strategies for finding delta given epsilon limits?

Some common strategies for finding delta given epsilon limits include using the definition of a limit, using the squeeze theorem, and using known limits to manipulate the given limit problem.

5. Can delta be any value when finding delta given epsilon limits?

No, delta cannot be any value when finding delta given epsilon limits. It needs to be a positive number that is small enough to ensure that the function values are within the given epsilon limit.