1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find derivative of Square root (x + square root(x + x^(1/2))) Help!

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Define f(x)=[itex]\sqrt{}(x + (\sqrt{}(x + \sqrt{}x)[/itex]
    Determine where f is differentiable and compute the derivative

2. Relevant equations

f'(xo)= lim as x approaches xo (f(x) - f(xo))/(x - xo)

3. The attempt at a solution
    By the definition, f(x) = [itex]\sqrt{}x[/itex] does not have a derivative at 0, since limit as x approaches zero, x>0, is 1/[itex]\sqrt{}x[/itex], so can't have zero in denominator, not differentiable at 0.

I think above function, because of Algebra of Derivatives would also not be differentiable at zero. I keep ending up with a big mess trying to find it's derivative, I think I'm missing a rule somewhere, any suggestions are welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    Chain rule can be thought about as fractions:
    Let
    [tex] f(x) = \sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}[/tex]
    and we want
    [tex] \frac{df}{dx} = f'(x)[/tex]
    then let
    [tex] g(x) = x + \sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

so

[tex] f(g(x)) = \sqrt{g(x)}[/tex]

then
    [tex] \frac{df}{dg}\frac{dg}{dx} = \frac{df}{dx} = g'(x)\frac{1}{2}g(x)^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Let me start you off on the next step and see if you can finish it. Let
    [tex] h(x) = \sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
    then
    [tex] g(x) = x + h(x)[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{dg}{dx} = 1 + \frac{dh}{dx}[/tex]

Hint: use the same logic already presented to find the derivative of h(x). Then substitute all of your answers into previous equations for the final answer.

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    I think the limit as x -> xo, if you multiply numerator and denominator by it conjugate you get, f'(xo) = 1/2(xo+(xo + (xo)^(1/2))^(1/2))^(1/2))

Is that it?

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    I apologize. I didn't see you were dealing with the limit.

Let
    [tex] f(x) = \sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}[/tex]

Then we seek

[tex] Z = \frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}=\frac{\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}-\sqrt{x_0+\sqrt{x_0+\sqrt{x_0}}}}{x-x_0}[/tex]

but let
    [tex] g(x) = x + \sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Then

[tex]Z = \frac{\sqrt{g(x)} - \sqrt{g(x_0)}}{g(x)-g(x_0)}\frac{g(x)-g(x_0)}{x-x_0}[/tex]

But let
    [tex] h(x) = \sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

then

[tex]Z = \frac{\sqrt{g(x)} - \sqrt{g(x_0)}}{g(x)-g(x_0)}\frac{x+h(x)-(x_0+h(x_0))}{x-x_0}=\frac{\sqrt{g(x)} - \sqrt{g(x_0)}}{g(x)-g(x_0)} \left ( \frac{x-x_0}{x-x_0} + \frac{h(x) - h(x_0)}{x-x_0} \right )[/tex]

But let

[tex] y(x) = x + \sqrt{x}[/tex]

then

[tex]Z =\frac{\sqrt{g(x)} - \sqrt{g(x_0)}}{g(x)-g(x_0)} \left ( \frac{x-x_0}{x-x_0} + \frac{\sqrt{y(x)} - \sqrt{y(x_0)}}{y(x)-y(x_0)}\frac{y(x)-y(x_0)}{x-x_0} \right )[/tex]
    and the final one falls into place:

[tex]Z =\frac{\sqrt{g(x)} - \sqrt{g(x_0)}}{g(x)-g(x_0)} \left ( \frac{x-x_0}{x-x_0} + \frac{\sqrt{y(x)} - \sqrt{y(x_0)}}{y(x)-y(x_0)}\left ( \frac{x-x_0}{x-x_0} +\frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x_0}}{x-x_0} \right ) \right )[/tex]

Taken the limit of Z as x approaches x_0. Do so for each piece.

6. Mar 28, 2012 #5
    If you don't know how to handle the squareroot case frequent in that final equation I wrote, consider x - x_0 as a difference of squares.

7. Mar 28, 2012 #6
    Thank you. Your approach makes sense and is clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook