Find direction of tangent line to equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
ArcanaNoir
Messages
778
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



Find the direction of the line tangent to the curve [itex]x^4+y^4=32[/itex] at the point [itex](2, -2)[/itex]

Homework Equations



Anything goes, we're in vector calculus now.

The Attempt at a Solution



So, to find the tangent line, I was thinking of taking the gradient, but I'm not sure how to do that since the curve is in a squirrely format. I think they call that "implicit".

Perhaps the gradient is [itex]4x^3i+4y^3j[/itex]?

and then at the given point we would have [itex]32i-32j[/itex]

Is this actually the direction of the line tangent to the curve at the given point? Is this actually the answer? I don't really know.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ArcanaNoir said:

Homework Statement



Find the direction of the line tangent to the curve [itex]x^4+y^4=32[/itex] at the point [itex](2, -2)[/itex]

Homework Equations



Anything goes, we're in vector calculus now.

The Attempt at a Solution



So, to find the tangent line, I was thinking of taking the gradient, but I'm not sure how to do that since the curve is in a squirrely format. I think they call that "implicit".

Perhaps the gradient is [itex]4x^3i+4y^3j[/itex]?

and then at the given point we would have [itex]32i-32j[/itex]

Is this actually the direction of the line tangent to the curve at the given point? Is this actually the answer? I don't really know.
No. [itex]32\hat{i}-32\hat{j},,[/itex] is the direction of greatest slope. The tangent line is perpendicular to this.
 
darn. so how do I find the perpendicular to that?
 
ArcanaNoir said:
darn. so how do I find the perpendicular to that?
Rotate the vector 90°.