Find Electric field due to line charge -- Intermediate E&M

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to applying calculus and finding the electric field of a line of charge using the equation E= <x,z>. The individual seeking help discusses their lack of understanding and asks for resources to better understand the problem. The responder provides a video and helps the individual understand the problem and complete the necessary integrals. The individual then asks for clarification on the direction of the vector and the responder provides an explanation.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8xmgdwwqalymm4/000407.png?dl=0

Homework Equations

I am not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't understand how to go about this. I really need someone to help walk me through this where I can ask questions along the way. It is not so much that I don't understand what to do, I just don't understand how to do it. How to apply the Calculus. If you want to use a different problem or change the numbers or whatever, I am fine with that. I am not looking to have my homework done for me, I really need to get a grasp on how to apply Calculus to these problems. In fact, I would prefer it that way if you have time, energy, or resources to make up a different problem that uses the same techniques. But if not, explaining this one to me will work. Because I do not even understand what part b is asking me...

Physics news on Phys.org
https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AACLL2mnzuLfCFvC2c03pnEpIia9xUMHjXhjva0bDi9cZg/12/61301665/png/32x32/3/1455591600/0/2/000407.png/ELnyvC8YpAYgBygH/AO9cOKMLGz90-IcoBaJxZOfFGenkwsVVaTbGHmVlVOk?size_mode=3&size=800x600

Your exercise author is doing exactly what you ask. Do you understand (2.6) ?
Do you understand that you need a relevant equation ?
Something along the lines of ##\vec E = {1\over 4\pi\epsilon_0} {\vec r\over |\vec r|^3 } ## ?
And: you do know that PF doesn't like the 'I have no idea' attempt at solution (see guidelines).
I'll be happy to get you started on this, though.
I suppose hyperphysics didn't help, and more elementary steps are desired ?

PS you really a grandpa ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes grandpa2390
BvU said:
https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AACLL2mnzuLfCFvC2c03pnEpIia9xUMHjXhjva0bDi9cZg/12/61301665/png/32x32/3/1455591600/0/2/000407.png/ELnyvC8YpAYgBygH/AO9cOKMLGz90-IcoBaJxZOfFGenkwsVVaTbGHmVlVOk?size_mode=3&size=800x600

Your exercise author is doing exactly what you ask. Do you understand (2.6) ?
Do you understand that you need a relevant equation ?
Something along the lines of ##\vec E = {1\over 4\pi\epsilon_0} {\vec r\over |\vec r|^3 } ## ?
And: you do know that PF doesn't like the 'I have no idea' attempt at solution (see guidelines).
I'll be happy to get you started on this, though.
I suppose hyperphysics didn't help, and more elementary steps are desired ?

PS you really a grandpa ?
yes I know PF doesn't like it. But unfortunately, I have nowhere else to turn. I do not know where to go to get an idea so I pled for help.
Unfortunately, the leap between the first class and this one is too large for me. That or it has been too long... Could you just point me towards a resource that could break it down for me? I'm going to check out MIT

Last edited by a moderator:
Try for a discussion of a similar example. You will need to make modifications for your problem.

Likes gracy and grandpa2390
TSny said:
Try for a discussion of a similar example. You will need to make modifications for your problem.

That was helpful. He definitely helped me to understand a bit of what I was lacking. I think I have enough now to attempt the problem. :)

TSny said:

so I attempted the problem with the understanding I gained from the video. I am not sure how correct my progress is. I am not sure, for example, if dQ=Lambda*dx'
if all that I have done is correct. I am not sure how to go on from here. I don't understand what is being asked. should I just take each integral and say it is E= <x , z> ?

here is my work. figured it would be easier to post images than try to type it... https://www.dropbox.com/sc/je4atkky02nybua/AAAOj4TG3I3O3vNpc8r2ZaXkaI guess I could always plug the integral into mathematica and check the value of Ez at x=0...

Your work looks good to me. I don't know whether you are expected to do the integrals "by hand" or if you are allowed to use tables or software. The integrals are not too hard.

Once you get expressions for Ex and Ey, I would think that would suffice for an answer.

The problem seems to want you to start from Eq (2.6) which expresses the integral for ##\vec{E}## in vector form with a unit vector ##\hat{r}##. It asks for you to find an expression for this unit vector. But you should find that the components of the unit vector are what you found for cosθ and sinθ. So, you've essentially done that.

Likes grandpa2390
TSny said:
Your work looks good to me. I don't know whether you are expected to do the integrals "by hand" or if you are allowed to use tables or software. The integrals are not too hard.

Once you get expressions for Ex and Ey, I would think that would suffice for an answer.

The problem seems to want you to start from Eq (2.6) which expresses the integral for ##\vec{E}## in vector form with a unit vector ##\hat{r}##. It asks for you to find an expression for this unit vector. But you should find that the components of the unit vector are what you found for cosθ and sinθ. So, you've essentially done that.
:)

ƒ
TSny said:

I didn't get zero when I integrated and plugged in x=0 and z=10...
the integral I got from mathematica ##\frac{t-x}{z \sqrt{(t-x)^2+z^2}}## and when I evaluate this from -L/2 to L/2, I don't get 0...

did I evaluate incorrectly.

edit: I just realized... E_x would be zero... whoops.

edit: I evaluated the e_x and it equaled zero when the point is directly in the middle of the line of charge.

edit: except if I take the E_z component and evaluate it at z=0, I get L/0... what does that mean? is it the wrong answer, or is the math saying that there is something going on if the point lies on the line...

Last edited:
grandpa2390 said:
if I take the E_z component and evaluate it at z=0, I get L/0... what does that mean? is it the wrong answer, or is the math saying that there is something going on if the point lies on the line...

If you consider the formula for the electric field of a point charge, you can see what happens as you approach the charge (r → 0). A similar thing happens for a line of charge except the field doesn't go to infinity as rapidly as for a point charge. Interestingly, if you have a two dimensional plane of charge the field remains finite as you approach the surface of the plane.

Likes grandpa2390

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field due to a line charge?

The formula for calculating the electric field due to a line charge is E = (λ / 2πε0r), where λ is the linear charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the line charge.

2. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

3. How does the electric field due to a line charge change as the distance from the charge increases?

The electric field due to a line charge decreases as the distance from the charge increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse relationship with distance, meaning that the farther away you are from the charge, the weaker the electric field will be.

4. Can the electric field due to a line charge be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to a line charge can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the line charge.

5. How is the direction of the electric field due to a line charge determined?

The direction of the electric field due to a line charge is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the line charge, the curl of your fingers will indicate the direction of the electric field. Alternatively, you can use the equation E = (λ / 2πε0r) and plug in values for r to determine the direction of the electric field at a specific point.