1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find expression in terms of time for a particle's velocity?

1. Jun 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves along a straight line so that its acceleration t seconds after passing a fixed point O on the line is (2 - 2t) cm/s2. Three seconds after passing O, the particle has a velocity of 5 cm/s. Find and expression, in terms of t, for the velocity of the particle after t seconds.

2. Relevant equations
    a = dv/dt = d2x/dt2

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the information, a = -2t + 2 when x = 0, and therefore, by anti-differentiating, v = -t2 + 2t + c.
    I assume that the acceleration of the particle stays at -2t + 2 cm/s2 for the rest of its motion, and so tried substituting (t + 3) in for t to get: -2t - 4, the acceleration of the particle after 3 seconds. Here I got stuck. Do I set up simultaneous equations and eliminate? Have I done my anti-differentiation wrong?

Any help appreciated,
    Smeato

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a correct antderivative, but from there onwards your logic is wrong. Go back and read again exactly what the question tells you.

4. Jun 16, 2016 #3
    Thanks Ray, it really was a simple question!
    "t seconds after passing O" means that you start counting at zero at the Origin :)

The correct answer is: v = -t2 + 2t + 8

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted