How do you find the Hodge dual of F using the black hole metric?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter praharmitra
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Black hole Flux Hole
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
praharmitra
Messages
308
Reaction score
1
Given a black hole metric [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] and gauge field [itex]A_\mu[/itex], how do I find the flux through a sphere of a black hole.

In simpler terms how do you find [itex]\star F[/itex] (the hodge star, I believe) using the metric ??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I found out that
[tex](\star F)_{\alpha\beta\gamma} = F^{\mu\nu} \sqrt{-g}\epsilon_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta\gamma}[/tex]
(I am in five dimensional AdS space)

How do I integrate this now to find the total charge? Please help
 
In tensor terms, use the covariant derivative of the field tensor to get the current and integrate the time component over a volume.

In this case J = d*F ( 4-form ?) which I presume is integrable.
 
Last edited:
It seems like you're just asking how to integrate forms.

To integrate a n-form K over an n-surface [itex]\Sigma[/itex], first you must find the pullback of K to [itex]\Sigma[/itex]; then you just do an ordinary n-dimensional integral. Suppose [itex]x^a[/itex] are the coordinates on your manifold. Then K can be written

[tex]K = \frac{1}{n!} K_{a_1 \ldots a_n} \; dx^{a_1} \wedge \ldots \wedge dx^{a_n}[/tex]

Now, if [itex]y^b[/itex] are the coordinates of the n-submanifold [itex]\Sigma[/itex], then

[tex]\int_\Sigma K = \underbrace{\idotsint}_n K_{a_1 \ldots a_n} \; \frac{\partial x^{a_1}}{\partial y^1} \ldots \frac{\partial x^{a_n}}{\partial y^n} \; dy^{1} \ldots dy^{n}[/tex]

To find the electric charge that sources some Maxwell field F, you integrate [itex]*F[/itex] over a closed (d-2)-surface that contains the charge. In your case, you are in 5 dimensions, and you probably have spherical symmetry. So use spherical coordinates, and integrate over a 3-sphere centered on the black hole (set R and T to constants).