Find general solution of non homogenious linear equation

In summary, the differential equation y'' + 4y' + 13y' = 169x + 81e^{e-2x} can be solved for x by using the coefficients A, B and C. Additionally, if y is an n-degree polynomial, then (ay" + by' + cy) is an n-degree polynomial. Lastly, if y is a combination of sines and cosines, (ay" + by' + cy) is a combination of sines and cosines.
Ortix

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the differential equation:
y'' + 4y' + 13y' = 169x + 81e^{e-2x}

EDIT: Can't get latex to work.. so :
http://mathbin.net/60293

The Attempt at a Solution

[EQ]13Ax + 4A + 13B + 9Ce^{-2x} = 169x+81e^{-2x}[/EQ]

http://mathbin.net/60294 Now i have no clue how to find A B C... I'm probably over thinking this :P

the answers are 13 -4 and 9...

EDIT2:
So i think i figured out how to get A and C. I divided 169 by 13 and 81 by 9, which makes sense. But what about B?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to identify coefficients on both sides of the equation, and thus arrive at a linear set of simultaneous equations in A, B and C.

The same is said in the book, still doesn't get me any further...

OK, can you see that there's no number (independent term) on the RHS? This means that 4A + 13B must be 0. You already have A; solve for B.

there we go :D so because of the fact that there is an x and a e^-2x on the RHS i can solve for Ax and the Ce^-2x since they have a corresponding term. And 4A + 13B = 0 because there are no terms (or whatever you want to call them) on the RHS. I think i understand it, i just can't put it into words :P

Ortix said:
there we go :D so because of the fact that there is an x and a e^-2x on the RHS i can solve for Ax and the Ce^-2x since they have a corresponding term. And 4A + 13B = 0 because there are no terms (or whatever you want to call them) on the RHS. I think i understand it, i just can't put it into words :P

Indeed. Another way to get a set of equations in A, B and C would have been to give three different values to the x, but in this case, direct comparison works faster.

For the particular integral of

y'' + 4y' + 13y' = 169x + 81e^{e-2x}

any linear combination of a particular integral of

y'' + 4y' + 13y' = 169x

and of a particular integral of

y'' + 4y' + 13y' = 81e^{e-2x}

will do, so you can deal with these separately if you want.

Personally I always forget the methods between times so a way I do things like this (equivalent to other methods) is to ask: the right hand side, call if f(x) - what differential equations does that satisfy? Or get f'(x) and f"(x) and ask how can you make your original d.e. using these and f(x)? Or put it like this: if y is an n degree polynomial, (ay" + by' + cy) is an n-degree polynomial, if y is an exponential (ay" + by' + cy) is an exponential, if y is a combination of sines and cosines, (ay" + by' + cy) is a combination of sines and cosines so get f'(x) and f"(x) as well as f, and you can expect to be able to fit these assumed forms of solution if you hammer their constants to fit. For other forms of f this may not be possible or not so straightforward, but these three cases cover a lot of the elementary physical applications.

Last edited:

What is a non-homogeneous linear equation?

A non-homogeneous linear equation is an equation in which the variable terms have non-zero coefficients. This means that the equation cannot be written in the form Ax = 0, where A is a matrix and x is a vector.

How do I find the general solution of a non-homogeneous linear equation?

To find the general solution of a non-homogeneous linear equation, you first need to solve the associated homogeneous equation by setting all the right-hand side constants to zero. Then, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters to find a particular solution for the non-homogeneous equation. The general solution is the sum of the homogeneous solution and the particular solution.

What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to find a particular solution for a non-homogeneous linear equation. It involves guessing a solution based on the form of the non-homogeneous term and then determining the coefficients using substitution into the equation.

What is variation of parameters?

Variation of parameters is another method used to find a particular solution for a non-homogeneous linear equation. It involves using the homogeneous solutions as a basis for finding a solution to the non-homogeneous equation.

Can a non-homogeneous linear equation have no solution?

Yes, a non-homogeneous linear equation can have no solution if the associated homogeneous equation has no solution. This can occur when the right-hand side constants are not compatible with the coefficients in the equation.