General Solution of 2nd Order Differential Equaiton

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution to the differential equation d2y/dx2 +4y=cos(2x). The solution involves finding the complementary function and particular integral, with a focus on finding the particular integral using a linear combination of cos(2x) and sin(2x). However, it is noted that this combination will always result in zero, so a different approach is needed.
mm391

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to d2y/dx2 +4y=cos(2x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have woked out what I think is the Complementary function C1sin(2x)+C2cos(2x) the reason it is cos and sin is because the roots are 2i and therefore the exponential and imaginary number turn it into a cos or sin.

Particular Integral:
y = a cos(2x) + b sin(2x)
y' = -2a sin(2x) + 2b cos(2x)
y'' = 4a cos(2x) - 4b sin(2x)

∴ -4a cos(2x) + 4b sin(2x) + 4a cos(2x) - 4b sin(2x) = cos(2x)

but it all cancels out to give 0=cos(2x) which surely can't be right. Have I been staring at this so long that I cannot see the obvious answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
mm391 said:

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to d2y/dx2 +4y=cos(2x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have woked out what I think is the Complementary function C1sin(2x)+C2cos(2x) the reason it is cos and sin is because the roots are 2i and therefore the exponential and imaginary number turn it into a cos or sin.

Particular Integral:
y = a cos(2x) + b sin(2x)
y' = -2a sin(2x) + 2b cos(2x)
y'' = 4a cos(2x) - 4b sin(2x)

∴ -4a cos(2x) + 4b sin(2x) + 4a cos(2x) - 4b sin(2x) = cos(2x)

but it all cancels out to give 0=cos(2x) which surely can't be right. Have I been staring at this so long that I cannot see the obvious answer?

Since cos(2x) and sin(2x) satisfy the homogeneous equation, of course when you plug any linear combination of them into it you are going to get zero. So they can't make the solution of the non-homogeneous equation. Your text should have a section about what to do when the right hand side is a solution of the homogeneous equation. Try$$
y_p = Cx\cos(2x)+Dx\sin(2x)$$

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It is commonly used to describe the behavior of physical systems, such as the motion of objects under the influence of forces.

2. What is the general solution of a second order differential equation?

The general solution of a second order differential equation is the most general form of the equation that satisfies all possible solutions. It typically includes two arbitrary constants, which can be determined by initial conditions or boundary conditions.

3. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

To solve a second order differential equation, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial or boundary conditions given.

4. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is the most general form of the equation that satisfies all possible solutions, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies both the equation and given initial or boundary conditions. A general solution typically includes arbitrary constants, while a particular solution does not.

5. Can a second order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have multiple solutions. The general solution will typically include two arbitrary constants, so there will be an infinite number of possible solutions that can be obtained by assigning different values to these constants. In some cases, there may also be multiple particular solutions that satisfy the equation and given conditions.