Find GLB of A: $(-1)^n\left(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{2}{n}\right)$

• MHB
  • Thread starter NoName3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bound
In summary, if $A = \left\{(-1)^n \left(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{2}{n} \right): n \in \mathbb{N}\right\}$, then $\text{glb}(A) = -\dfrac{3}{4}.$
NoName3
Find $\text{glb}(A)$ if $A = \left\{(-1)^n \left(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{2}{n} \right): n \in \mathbb{N}\right\}$.$\displaystyle x_n = (-1)^n \left(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{2}{n} \right)$ then $ \displaystyle x_{2k} = \frac{1}{4}-\dfrac{1}{k} = \frac{k-4}{4k}$ and $ \displaystyle x_{2k+1} = -\left(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{2}{2k+1}\right) = \frac{7-2k}{4(2k+1)}$.

Now we analyse $x_{2k}$ Let $j = 2k$ then $x_{j} = \dfrac{j-8}{4j}$ and $x_{j+1} = \dfrac{j-7}{4(j+1)} $. Which is bigger: $x_j$ or $x_{j+1}$?

That's where I'm stuck - I can't analyse $x_{2k}, x_{2k+1}$. Is there a trick to it or we have to analyse cases?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NoName said:
$ \displaystyle x_{2k} = \frac{1}{4}-\dfrac{1}{k} = \frac{k-4}{4k}$.

we analyse $x_{2k}$ Let $j = 2k$ then $x_{j} = \dfrac{j-8}{8j}$

Your formula for $x_j$ is not correct.

We have the following:
$\displaystyle x_{2k} = \frac{k-4}{4k}=\frac{\frac{2k}{2}-4}{2(2k)} \ \overset{j=2k}{=} \ \frac{\frac{j}{2}-4}{2j}=\frac{j-8}{4j}$

NoName said:
Which is bigger: $x_j$ or $x_{j+1}$?

Suppose that $\frac{j-8}{4j}\leq \frac{j-7}{4(j+1)}$, then $$4(j+1)(j-8)\leq 4j(j-7) \\ \Rightarrow 4(j^2-7j-8)\leq 4j^2-28j \\ \Rightarrow 4j^2-28j-32\leq 4j^2-28j \\ \Rightarrow -32\leq 0$$ which is true. Therefore, $x_j\leq x_{j+1}$.

Thanks, mathmari. Since the equality is never attained, we have $x_j < x_{j+1}$ thus $x_j$ is strictly increasing from $-3/4$ to $1/4$. Letting $i= 2k+1$ we have $x_i = \dfrac{8-i}{4i}$ and $x_{i+1} = \dfrac{7-i}{4(i+1)}$. Therefore $x_{i+1} > x_i$. Hence $x_i$ is decreasing from $7/4$ to $-1/4$. That's the same thing as saying it's increasing from $-1/4$ to $7/4$. Therefore $\min(-3/4, -1/4) < x_n < \max(1/4, 7/4) \iff -3/4 < x_n < 7/4 $ Therefore we have $\text{lub}(A) = -3/4.$ Is this correct analysis? I've seen a solution that considers the point $x_2 = 5/12$, which makes me doubt this.

Last edited:
It appears that I was having an off-day here. The $\epsilon-\delta$ proof is far simpler than that. Let $x_n = \dfrac{(-1)^n(n-8)}{4n}.$ A lower bound for $x_n$ is $-\dfrac{3}{4}$. We want to show that $-\dfrac{3}{4}+\epsilon$
is not a lower bound for any $\epsilon > 0$. If $\epsilon > 0$, then $ \exists ~ (2n+1)$ s.t. $\dfrac{2(2n+1)+8}{4(2n+1)}< \epsilon$.

Then $x_{2n+1} = \dfrac{7n-2n}{4(2n+1)} = \dfrac{-3(2n+1)+4n+10}{4(2n+1)} = -\dfrac{3}{4}+\dfrac{2(2n+1)+8}{4(2k+1)} < -\dfrac{3}{4}+\epsilon. $

Hence $-\dfrac{3}{4}+\epsilon$ is not a lower bound for $x_n$ for any $\epsilon > 0$, and therefore $\text{glb}(A) = -\dfrac{3}{4}.$

Actually my proof above is not valid for $\epsilon \le \frac{1}{2}$.

Let $x_n = \dfrac{(-1)^n(n-8)}{4n}.$ Clearly a lower bound for $x_n$ is $-\dfrac{3}{4}$.
We need to show that $-\dfrac{3}{4}+\epsilon$ is not a lower bound for $\epsilon > 0$.
If $\epsilon > 0$, there exists an even integer $2n$ s.t. $\dfrac{2n-2}{2n}< \epsilon$, then:
$$x_{2n} = \dfrac{2n-8}{4(2n)} = \dfrac{8(n-1)-6n}{4(2n)} = -\dfrac{3}{4}+\dfrac{2n-2}{2n}< -\dfrac{3}{4}+\epsilon. $$ Thus $-\dfrac{3}{4}$ is the greatest lower bound of $A$. I believe it works now. (Happy)

1. What is the purpose of finding the GLB of this function?

The GLB (greatest lower bound) of a function is the largest value that is smaller than or equal to all the values of the function. It is used to evaluate the behavior and limits of the function as the input approaches negative infinity. In this case, finding the GLB can help us understand the overall trend of the function and its behavior as n gets larger.

2. How do you find the GLB of this function?

To find the GLB of a function, we need to analyze the behavior of the function as the input approaches negative infinity. In this case, we can rewrite the function as $(-1)^n\left(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{2}{n}\right) = (-1)^n\left(\frac{n-8}{4n}\right)$. As n gets larger, the value of $(-1)^n$ will alternate between -1 and 1, and the fraction $\frac{n-8}{4n}$ will approach 0. Therefore, the GLB of this function is 0.

3. Why is it important to consider the behavior of the function as n approaches negative infinity?

By analyzing the behavior of the function as n approaches negative infinity, we can determine the overall trend and limits of the function. This can help us make predictions and understand the behavior of the function in different scenarios. It also allows us to identify any asymptotes or points of discontinuity in the function.

4. What does the value of the GLB tell us about the function?

The value of the GLB tells us the lowest possible value that the function can attain. In other words, it is the lower bound for all values of the function. It also indicates the general trend of the function as n gets larger, as it is the value that the function approaches as n approaches negative infinity.

5. Can the GLB of a function change?

The GLB of a function can change if the function is modified or if the domain of the function is restricted. In this case, the GLB will depend on the new behavior and limits of the modified function. However, in most cases, the GLB remains the same as the input approaches negative infinity.