Limit points, limsup και liminf

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the $\lim\sup$, $\lim\inf$ and limit points of four sequences. The first three sequences are evaluated using the given formulas and the limit points are determined to be 3, -3, 1, 0, $e$, $e^{-1}$ respectively. The conversation then continues to discuss finding the limit points using different subsequences, with the final conclusion being that the limit points for the fourth sequence are 1 and -1.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to find the $\lim\sup$, $\lim\inf$ and the limit points of the following sequences:
1. $a_n=(-1)^n\frac{3n+4}{n+1}$
2. $a_n=\sqrt[n]{n+(-1)^nn}$
3. $a_n=\left ( \frac{n+(-1)^n}{n}\right )^n$
4. $a_n=(-1)^{\frac{n(n+1)}{2}}\sqrt[n]{1+\frac{1}{n}}$ I have done the following:

1. $$a_{2k}=(-1)^{2k}\frac{3(2k)+4}{2k+1}=\frac{6k+4}{2k+1}\Rightarrow \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}a_{2k}=3 \\ a_{2k-1}=(-1)^{2k-1}\frac{3(2k-1)+4}{2k-1+1}=-\frac{6k+1}{2k}\Rightarrow \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}a_{2k-1}=-3$$
So, $(a_n)$ has the limit points $3$ and $-3$.
Therefore, $\lim\sup a_n=3$ and $\lim\inf a_n=-3$. 2. $$a_{2k}=\sqrt[2k]{2k+(-1)^{2k}2k}=\sqrt[2k]{4k}=2^{\frac{1}{k}}\left ( k^{\frac{1}{k}}\right )^{\frac{1}{2}}\Rightarrow \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}a_{2k}=1\\ a_{2k-1}=\sqrt[2k-1]{2k-1+(-1)^{2k-1}(2k-1)}=0\Rightarrow \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}a_{2k-1}=0$$
So, $(a_n)$ has the limit points $1$ and $0$.
Therefore, $\lim\sup a_n=1$ and $\lim\inf a_n=0$. 3. $$a_{2k}=\left ( \frac{2k+(-1)^{2k}}{2k}\right )^{2k}=\left (\frac{2k+1}{2k}\right )^{2k}=\left (1+\frac{1}{2k}\right )^{2k}\Rightarrow \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}a_{2k}=e \\ a_{2k-1}=\left ( \frac{2k-1+(-1)^{2k-1}}{2k-1}\right )^{2k-1}=\left (\frac{2k-1-1}{2k-1}\right )^{2k-1}=\left (1-\frac{1}{2k-1}\right )^{2k-1}\Rightarrow \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}a_{2k-1}=e^{-1}$$
So, $(a_n)$ has the limit points $e$ and $e^{-1}$.
Therefore, $\lim\sup a_n=e$ and $\lim\inf a_n=e^{-1}$. Is everything correct so far? How could we prove that the limit points that I found at each case are the only ones? (Wondering) 4. $$a_n=(-1)^{\frac{n(n+1)}{2}}\sqrt[n]{1+\frac{1}{n}}$$
I tried to find again the limits of $a_{2k}$ and $a_{2k-1}$ but I failed.
Do we find the limit points in this case in an other way? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Is everything correct so far? How could we prove that the limit points that I found at each case are the only ones? (Wondering) 4. $$a_n=(-1)^{\frac{n(n+1)}{2}}\sqrt[n]{1+\frac{1}{n}}$$
I tried to find again the limits of $a_{2k}$ and $a_{2k-1}$ but I failed.
Do we find the limit points in this case in an other way? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

They look good to me.

How about trying $a_{4k},\ a_{4k+1},\ a_{4k+2}$, and $a_{4k+3}$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
They look good to me.

(Happy)

I like Serena said:
How about trying $a_{4k},\ a_{4k+1},\ a_{4k+2}$, and $a_{4k+3}$? (Wondering)

Calculating these we get that the limit points are $1$ and $-1$, so $\lim\sup a_n=1$ and $\lim\inf a_n=-1$, right? (Wondering)

Instead of these we could also calculate the subsequences $a_{4k},\ a_{4k-1},\ a_{4k-2}$, and $a_{4k-3}$, or not? (Wondering)

Yes και yes. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
Yes και yes. (Mmm)

Thank you! (Mmm)

1. What is a limit point?

A limit point, also known as an accumulation point, is a point in a metric space that can be approached arbitrarily closely by elements of a given sequence. In other words, it is a value that the sequence of terms gets closer and closer to, but may never actually reach.

2. What is limsup?

Limsup, or limit superior, is the largest limit point of a sequence. It is the supremum (least upper bound) of the set of limit points of the sequence. In other words, it is the highest value that the sequence approaches as n gets larger and larger.

3. What is liminf?

Liminf, or limit inferior, is the smallest limit point of a sequence. It is the infimum (greatest lower bound) of the set of limit points of the sequence. In other words, it is the lowest value that the sequence approaches as n gets larger and larger.

4. How are limsup and liminf related?

Liminf and limsup are related in that they both give information about the behavior of a sequence as n gets larger. In particular, if the limsup and liminf of a sequence are equal, then the sequence converges to that value. If the limsup and liminf are different, then the sequence does not converge.

5. What are some real-world applications of limit points, limsup, and liminf?

Limit points, limsup, and liminf are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to study the behavior of sequences and functions. For example, in physics, limit points are used to represent the behavior of particles in a system, while limsup and liminf are used to analyze the stability of a system. In economics, limit points are used to represent the equilibrium price of a product, while limsup and liminf can be used to analyze the behavior of demand and supply curves.