Find Horizontal Tangent Pts for y = 9sin(x)cos(x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Physics1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lines Tangent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Physics1
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



y = 9sin(x)cos(x)

Find all points where tangent line is horizontal.

The Attempt at a Solution



I get y' = 9cos^2x - 9sin^2X

I plug in zero for the slope and get 9 but I'm stumped after that. How can I get all the horizontal tangent line points?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics1 said:

Homework Statement



y = 9sin(x)cos(x)

Find all points where tangent line is horizontal.

The Attempt at a Solution



I get y' = 9cos^2x - 9sin^2x
I plug in zero for the slope and get 9 but I'm stumped after that.
How?
How can I get all the horizontal tangent line points?
You do exactly what you say to do; that is, find the points where the derivative of the graph is zero. It boils down to solving cos^2x-sin^2x=0. Can you do this?

[Hint: cos^2x=1-sin^2x]