1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find how long does it take to hit the ground from a car off a cliff

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 500kg car drives of a 400m cliff located on the surface of the earth how long does it take to hit the ground

2. Relevant equations

F=ma
    F=mg
    d=1/d at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

i first did f=mg to find f
    then i did f=ma converted that to find a
    then did 1/2 at^2 converted that 2
    d x 0.5 / 9.8 then i root it to find t
    but i got the wrong answer, the answer is 9 seconds can some one tell me what i did wrong

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    You're looking for an answer in metres, how far something is, is distance.

So the answer can't be 9 seconds. You already have how long it was in the air.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You are interested in its travel in the horizontal. The car experiences no acceleration horizontally.

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    i been studying all night and its rly late i was combining 2 questions in 1 cuz i am soo tired i fixed the question now lol

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

This is an entirely different question, now. Your question has become: how long does it take something to fall 400 m, starting from rest.

What equation will you use for that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook