1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find if a function is bounded through its Laplace transform

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If f(t) transforms into F(s), so that [tex]\[
    F(s) = \frac{{s + 1}}{{s^2 + as + 1}},a \in
    \]
    [/tex], prove that if a < 0, the function f(t) isn't bounded, and if a >= 0, it is bounded. Prove that if -2 < a < 2, f(t) oscilates.

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly have no idea how to do this. I think I have to use the final value property, but that gives me that f(t) has a finite limit when t approaches to infinity wheather a is positive or not (actually, if a is 0, it gives me that f(t) diverges).

Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2
    Start by computing the roots of the denominator (as a function of a). What is the inverse transform for each of the cases?

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3
    The roots are terrible to look at:

[tex]\[
    s^2 + as + 1 = \left( {s + \frac{{a - \sqrt {a^2 - 4} }}{2}} \right)\left( {s + \frac{{a + \sqrt {a^2 - 4} }}{2}} \right)
    \]
    [/tex].

Then I find that [tex]\[
    F(s) = \frac{{s + 1}}{{s^2 + as + 1}} = \frac{{s + 1}}{{\left( {s + \frac{{a - \sqrt {a^2 - 4} }}{2}} \right)\left( {s + \frac{{a + \sqrt {a^2 - 4} }}{2}} \right)}}
    \]
    [/tex].

I find no way to anti-transform this.

5. Feb 1, 2010 #4
    For what values of a are the roots real and distinct? A double real root? Complex conjugates?

6. Feb 1, 2010 #5
    If a2 > 4, then those are real roots. Otherwise, complex and conjugate (since a [tex]\in[/tex]R). If a = 2, then the roots are double (1). Still, no way to find the anti-transform.

7. Feb 1, 2010 #6
    Well, if [tex]a^2>4\Leftrightarrow a>2 \vee a<-2[/tex]. These are distinct real roots, say [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex], which means that you can factor
    [tex]

F(s) = \frac{{s + 1}}{{s^2 + as + 1}}

[/tex]

As:

[tex]

F(s) = \frac{A}{{s-\alpha}}+\frac{B}{{s-\beta}}

[/tex]

Where A and B are constants. How do you invert that? What's the behaviour of the inverses?

8. Feb 1, 2010 #7
    Oh, right, partial fractions, I forgot about them. Well the, I will get to exponential functions, A.e-ax, where a>0, A is a constant, and those are bounded functions. If the roots where negative, then the exponentials would be of the form A.eax, which are not bounded.

And if the roots are complex, then I would get sines or cosines, right?

Thanks.

9. Feb 1, 2010 #8
    Exactly. For 0<a<2 (complex conjungate roots, with negative real part), you have sines and cosines (oscillatory behaviour); for a>=2, you have negative real roots. Therefore, in both cases, the inverse will go to 0, as t goes to infinity (bounded functions).

If -2<a<=0, you will have oscillatory behaviour (complex roots again, with nonnegative real parts), which means sines and cosines again; if a<=-2, then you will have real roots, but at least one of them will be positive, so the inverse is unbounded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook