Find if a function is bounded through its Laplace transform

In summary, if the function f(t) transforms into F(s) with F(s) = (s+1)/(s^2+as+1), where a is a real number, then the behavior of f(t) depends on the value of a. If a > 2 or a < -2, the inverse transform will be unbounded. If 0 < a < 2, the inverse transform will oscillate. If a = 2, the inverse transform will approach a finite limit as t goes to infinity.
libelec

Homework Statement

If f(t) transforms into F(s), so that [tex]\[
F(s) = \frac{{s + 1}}{{s^2 + as + 1}},a \in
\]
[/tex], prove that if a < 0, the function f(t) isn't bounded, and if a >= 0, it is bounded. Prove that if -2 < a < 2, f(t) oscilates.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how to do this. I think I have to use the final value property, but that gives me that f(t) has a finite limit when t approaches to infinity wheather a is positive or not (actually, if a is 0, it gives me that f(t) diverges).

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by computing the roots of the denominator (as a function of a). What is the inverse transform for each of the cases?

The roots are terrible to look at:

[tex]\[
s^2 + as + 1 = \left( {s + \frac{{a - \sqrt {a^2 - 4} }}{2}} \right)\left( {s + \frac{{a + \sqrt {a^2 - 4} }}{2}} \right)
\]
[/tex].

Then I find that [tex]\[
F(s) = \frac{{s + 1}}{{s^2 + as + 1}} = \frac{{s + 1}}{{\left( {s + \frac{{a - \sqrt {a^2 - 4} }}{2}} \right)\left( {s + \frac{{a + \sqrt {a^2 - 4} }}{2}} \right)}}
\]
[/tex].

I find no way to anti-transform this.

For what values of a are the roots real and distinct? A double real root? Complex conjugates?

If a2 > 4, then those are real roots. Otherwise, complex and conjugate (since a [tex]\in[/tex]R). If a = 2, then the roots are double (1). Still, no way to find the anti-transform.

Well, if [tex]a^2>4\Leftrightarrow a>2 \vee a<-2[/tex]. These are distinct real roots, say [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex], which means that you can factor
[tex]

F(s) = \frac{{s + 1}}{{s^2 + as + 1}}

[/tex]

As:

[tex]

F(s) = \frac{A}{{s-\alpha}}+\frac{B}{{s-\beta}}

[/tex]

Where A and B are constants. How do you invert that? What's the behaviour of the inverses?

Oh, right, partial fractions, I forgot about them. Well the, I will get to exponential functions, A.e-ax, where a>0, A is a constant, and those are bounded functions. If the roots where negative, then the exponentials would be of the form A.eax, which are not bounded.

And if the roots are complex, then I would get sines or cosines, right?

Thanks.

Exactly. For 0<a<2 (complex conjungate roots, with negative real part), you have sines and cosines (oscillatory behaviour); for a>=2, you have negative real roots. Therefore, in both cases, the inverse will go to 0, as t goes to infinity (bounded functions).

If -2<a<=0, you will have oscillatory behaviour (complex roots again, with nonnegative real parts), which means sines and cosines again; if a<=-2, then you will have real roots, but at least one of them will be positive, so the inverse is unbounded.

1. What is a Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How can the Laplace transform be used to determine if a function is bounded?

If the Laplace transform of a function converges, then the function is considered to be bounded. This means that the values of the function do not increase without bound as the independent variable increases.

3. What does it mean for a function to be bounded?

A bounded function is one that has finite values and does not increase without bound. In other words, the function does not approach positive or negative infinity as the independent variable increases.

4. Can a function be unbounded in some regions and bounded in others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be bounded in some regions and unbounded in others. This can happen if the function has different behaviors in different parts of its domain.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform to determine if a function is bounded?

Yes, the Laplace transform may not work for functions that have infinite discontinuities or oscillate without converging. In these cases, other methods may need to be used to determine if a function is bounded.