Find internal energy from equation of state with Cp = 3R

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
gerardpc
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Given the following equation of state and [itex]C_p = 3R[/itex], find the equation of the internal energy in terms of T and V

[itex] p(V-b) = RT[/itex]

Any clues? I can use also the specific heat at constant pressure or volume. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried applying what you know about "internal energy" from your coursework so far?
Same with specific heats.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Observation: I changed a little the statement of the problem, as I noticed I had additional constraints.

Now to the problem: I have found the equation (which I didn't remember...)

[itex]dU =C_{V}dT +\left[T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_{V} - p\right]dV[/itex]

So with the equation of state it gives:

[itex]\dfrac{\partial p}{\partial T} = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial T}\left(\dfrac{R}{V-b}T\right) = \dfrac{R}{V-b}[/itex]

And including it in the previous equation:

[itex]dU = C_{V}dT +\left[T\dfrac{R}{V-b} - p\right]dV = C_{V}dT +\left[T\dfrac{R}{V-b} - \dfrac{R}{V-b}T \right]dV = C_{V}dT[/itex]

Now, to put [itex]C_{V}[/itex] in terms of [itex]C_{P}[/itex] we have the relation:

[itex]C_p - C_V = T \left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_{V} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_{p}[/itex]

The terms of which we can find with the equation of state:

[itex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial T} = \dfrac{R}{V-b} \qquad \frac{\partial V}{\partial T} = \dfrac{R}{p}[/itex]

So

[itex]C_p - C_V = \cdots = R \Rightarrow C_V = C_p - R = 2R[/itex]

And finally [itex]dU = C_{V}dT= 2R dT[/itex] so [itex]\Delta U = 2R \Delta T[/itex]

Is it alright? Any problem with not determining [itex]U[/itex] but [itex]\Delta U[/itex]?
 
I don't know - its your course.

Note: you had $$\frac{dU}{dT}=2R$$ ... so why not treat it like an initial value problem? What is U when T=0K?
 
Well, I'm not sure of the initial condition, that's why I asked ;)
I guess it must be zero internal energy when temperature is zero, so then we can drop de deltas.
 
There you go.

All you need for an "initial" condition is any known value.
The problem statement will not always include all the information you are expected to use.

Note: U=0 @ T=0 would be the classical interpretation - IRL you still have zero-point energy corresponding to the QM ground state.