[Thermo] Equation of State Given, Find Internal Energy and Specific Heat

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 10K views
cabanda
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




P=RT/(v-b) - a/(T(V+c)^2)


Homework Equations



u2-u1= Integral ( Cv dT) + Integral ( T * (dP/dT)v - P) dV

The Attempt at a Solution



I've differentiated P with respect to T to get R/(v-b)+a/(T^2(V+C)^2 and plugged the relevants back into the equation for u2-u1. I'm confused as to how to derive both Cv and U2-u1 from the equation. At first I thought Cv would drop out of the first equation and I could just solve for my internal energy solving to get 2* Integral(a / T(v+c)^2) dv but then I'm stuck with just an equation for internal energy and no way to go back and get the specific heat. Any pointers?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As in the OP, I also get $$du=C_vdT+\frac{2a}{T(V+C)^2}dV$$
Assuming I know ##u(T_1,V_1)##, I can integrate the differential equation from ##V_1## to infinite V at constant temperature to obtain $$u(T_1,\infty)=u(T_1,V_1)+\frac{2a}{T_1(V_1+C)}$$At infinite volume, ##C_v=C_v^{IG}##, where ##C_v^{IG}(T)## is the ideal gas heat capacity (a function only of T). Therefore, if I next integrate the differential equation at infinite volume between ##(T_1,\infty)## and ##(T,\infty)##, I obtain: $$u(T,\infty)=u(T_1,\infty)+\int_{T_1}^T{C_v^{IG}(T')dT'}$$Next, if I hold the temperature constant at T and integrate from infinite volume to finite arbitrary volume V, I obtain: $$u(T,V)=u(T,\infty)-\frac{2a}{T(V+C)}$$
Finally, combining the previous three equations then yields: $$u(T,V)=u(T_1,V_1)+\frac{2a}{T_1(V_1+C)}+\int_{T_1}^T{C_v^{IG}(T')dT'}$$$$-\frac{2a}{T(V+C)}$$From this, it follows that the heat capacity of the gas at (T,V) is given by: $$C_v(T,V)=C_v^{IG}(T)+\frac{2a}{T^2(V+C)}$$
 
Last edited: