1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can internal energy be calculated from equation of state?

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    We know,
    $$dU=TdS-PdV$$
    ##\int PdV## can be calculated if the equation of state is given.
    I tried to express ##S## as a function of ##P ,V## or ##T## (any two of those).
    $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T dV+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V dT$$
    $$=\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V dV+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_V \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V dT~~~ [Using ~~Maxwell's~~ relation]$$
    $$=\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V dV-\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_S \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V dT~~~[Using ~~Maxwell's~ ~relation]$$
    All the terms except ##\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_S## can be calculated using the equation of state.
    Any suggestion will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2016 #2
    You can't do it solely in terms of the equation of state. You need to use the heat capacity as well.

4. Oct 15, 2016 #3
    Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted