Find interval for contraction map

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an interval [a, b] that guarantees convergence to the positive fixed point using the Contraction Mapping Theorem or verifying that there is no such interval. The attempt at a solution involves finding an interval where the inequality abs(g'(x)) < γ is satisfied, with g'(x) being the derivative of the function g(x) = \frac{14}{13} - \frac{x^{3}}{13}. The final conclusion is that the interval [-\frac{\sqrt{39}}{3},\frac{\sqrt{39}}{3}] does not contain the root of the equation and therefore does not guarantee convergence to the fixed point.
Unredeemed

Homework Statement

Find an interval [a, b] for which the Contraction Mapping
Theorem guarantees convergence to the positive fixed point or verify that there is no
such interval.

Homework Equations

[itex] x = g(x) = \frac{14}{13} - \frac{x^{3}}{13}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution is slightly greater than 2. So, I assumed the upper bound on my interval would be 3 and g(3)=-1. So, I picked my lower bound to be -1 so that the function mapped from [-1,3] to [-1,3]. But, I'm having trouble showing that:

[itex] abs(g'(x)) \leq γ [/itex] for some 0 < γ < 1.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The latter inequality is what you should use to find the interval. Find g'(x), and see in what interval the inequality is satisfied.

I've found that [itex] abs(g'(x)) < \frac{\sqrt{39}}{3} [/itex]

But, this value is less than [itex]\sqrt[3]{14}[/itex] which is obviously the root. So is there no interval?

Where does ##\frac {\sqrt {39} } {9}## even come from?

Regardless, this is NOT what you want. You need to let ## |g'(x)| < 1 ## and find the interval satisfying that.

voko said:
Where does ##\frac {\sqrt {39} } {9}## even come from?

Regardless, this is NOT what you want. You need to let ## |g'(x)| < 1 ## and find the interval satisfying that.

But if we want ## |g'(x)| < γ ##
And ## |g'(x)| = \frac{-3x^{2}}{13} ##
So ## |\frac{-3x^{2}}{13}| < γ ##
And then ## |x^{2}| < \frac{13γ}{3} ##
Implies ## |x| < \sqrt{\frac{13γ}{3}} ##
Then ## |x| < \frac{\sqrt{39}}{3} ## since ## γ < 1 ##

No?

You got ##|x| < r##, which is what you want. Compare that to #3.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean?

In #5, you got the interval for x where g'(x) satisfies the contraction map criteria. In #3, you got some bogus inequality.

So is my interval ## [-\frac{\sqrt{39}}{3},\frac{\sqrt{39}}{3}] ## ?

Because that doesn't contain a root of the equation?

Sorry, I'm very confused.

Unredeemed said:
[itex]\sqrt[3]{14}[/itex] which is obviously the root

What makes you think so?

Well ## \frac{14}{13} - \frac{(\sqrt[3]{14})^{3}}{13}=\frac{14}{13}-\frac{14}{13} = 0 ##

So that's the root?

That's the zero on the RHS. You still have a non-zero LHS.

What is a contraction map?

A contraction map is a function on a metric space that shrinks the distance between any two points. In other words, the map brings points closer together, and the contraction factor must be less than one.

Why is finding an interval for a contraction map important?

Finding an interval for a contraction map is important because it allows us to prove the existence and uniqueness of a fixed point. This is useful in many applications, such as solving equations, optimization problems, and differential equations.

How do you find an interval for a contraction map?

To find an interval for a contraction map, we use the Banach fixed-point theorem. This theorem states that if a function on a complete metric space is a contraction map, then it has a unique fixed point and the fixed point can be found by iterating the function starting from any point in the interval.

What is the Banach fixed-point theorem?

The Banach fixed-point theorem is a mathematical theorem that guarantees the existence and uniqueness of a fixed point for a contraction map on a complete metric space. It is a powerful tool in proving the existence of solutions to various problems in mathematics and other fields.

What are some real-world applications of finding an interval for a contraction map?

Finding an interval for a contraction map has many practical applications, such as in computer algorithms for solving equations, optimization problems, and numerical analysis. It is also used in economics, biology, and physics, to name a few.