1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find k for this probability density function to be valid.

1. Jan 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find k such that the function [itex]f(x)=ke^{-\frac{x-\mu}{\theta}}[/itex] is a probability density function (pdf), for [itex] x > \mu, \mu[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] are constant.

2. Relevant equations

The property of a pdf says that the integral of f(x) from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] equals 1, that is [itex]\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)dx=1[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty ke^{-\frac{x-\mu}{\theta}}dx[/itex]
    [itex]=k\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\frac{x-\mu}{\theta}}dx[/itex]
    Let [itex]t=-\frac{x-\mu}{\theta} => -\theta dt=dx[/itex]

[itex]=> -k\int\limits_\infty^{-\infty} e^t(-\theta)dt[/itex]

[itex]=>k\theta\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty e^tdt[/itex]

But [itex]e^t[/itex] would diverge going towards infinity? How could this integral be equal to 1. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's supposed to be a density function only for x>μ. You don't want to integrate from -infinity to +infinity. You want to integrate from μ to +infinity. The pdf will be zero for x<μ.

4. Jan 18, 2013 #3
    Ok I see what you mean. But even if I do that, the upper bound of infinity is giving me problems because e^(infinity) is infinity :S

5. Jan 18, 2013 #4
    Never mind!! I finally figured it out... I had a -infinity instead. All is good :) I got k = 1/theta if anyone was interested

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook