Find laurent series about z=-2

In summary, the Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(z(z+2)3) about z=-2 converges in the region |z+2|<2, with a radius of convergence of R=2. This is due to the presence of a single singularity at z=-2. A different type of convergence, an annulus, occurs when there are multiple singularities present.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

Find the laurent series about z=-2 for:
f(z) = 1/(z(z+2)3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting t = z+2 yields:
f(t) = 1/(t3(t-2))
= 1/t (-1/(2(1-t/2))) = (1/t)3 * (-1/2) * Ʃ(t/2)n which can be put together in a sum, but I can't be bothered due to my poor Latex skills.
My question is however: In what region will this sum converge? Am I right at saying that the expansion will only be valid in the region described by the circle lz+2l<2? If not please tell me, because the term 1/(t-2) should wreak havoc according to me if we go outside this circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a typo to begin with:
[tex]\frac{1}{t^3(t- 2)}= \frac{1}{t}\frac{-1}{2(2- t/2)}[/tex]
when you surely mean
[tex]\frac{1}{t^3(t- 2)}= \frac{1}{t^3}\frac{-1}{2(2- t/2)}[/tex]
but the rest is correct.
You sum becomes
[tex]-\frac{1}{2}\sum \frac{1}{2^n} t^{n- 3}= -\frac{1}{2}\sum \frac{1}{2^n}(z+ 2)^{n-3}[/tex]
You can find the radius of convergence of that using the "ratio test"

Okay, using the ratio test I find that indeed we have R=2. However, I am a little unsure about where the circle of convergence is centered. Is it true that it is centered about z=-2? Because in many books I see figures where the domain of convergence for a laurent series about a pole z0 is an annullus like the red one on the attached picture. When does this type of convergence happens?

When you performed the ratio test, you should have found the series converges when |z+2|<2. You can write that more suggestively as |z-(-2)|<2, which tells you the series converges when z is within a distance of 2 of the point z0=-2.

You get an annulus when you have more than one singularity. For example, suppose you wanted to find a Laurent series for
$$f(z)=\frac{1}{(z-1)(z-2)} = \frac{1}{z-2}-\frac{1}{z-1}$$ expanded about the point z0=0. For the first term, you can find a series which converges for |z|<2 and one which converges for |z|>2. Similarly, for the second term, you can find one that converges for |z|<1 and another for |z|>1. The series for f(z) will consist of some combination of those four series. Depending on which combination you take, the series for f(z) will converge in different regions of the complex plane, where the region of convergence for the individual series overlap. This breaks the complex plane into three regions — |z|<1, 1<|z|<2, and |z|>2 — and the middle one is an annulus.

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, including both positive and negative powers of a variable. It is commonly used to approximate complex functions in the field of mathematics and physics.

2. How do you find a Laurent series?

To find a Laurent series, you need to first determine the center of the series, which is usually denoted by the variable z. Then, using the formula for a Laurent series, you can calculate the coefficients for each term by taking the derivative of the function and evaluating it at the center point.

3. What is the center of a Laurent series?

The center of a Laurent series is the point around which the series is expanded. In the case of z=-2, the center would be -2.

4. Why is it important to find a Laurent series?

Laurent series are important because they allow us to approximate complex functions with a simpler series of terms. This can be useful in solving difficult equations or understanding the behavior of functions in specific areas.

5. What is the significance of z=-2 in finding a Laurent series?

The value of z=-2 is important because it serves as the center point for the Laurent series. By expanding the series around this point, we can gain a better understanding of the behavior of the function in the vicinity of z=-2.