Find M, Mx, and My for a thin plate if density=ky

  • Thread starter Thread starter cloudboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
cloudboy
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Set up integrals to find M, Mx, and My for the thin plate if d(x)=ky

bounded by y=2-x and y = 4-x^2 or x = sqrt(4-y)

Homework Equations



M = [itex]\int[/itex] dm = [itex]\int[/itex]d(x)dA
Mx = [itex]\int[/itex]ydm
My = [itex]\int[/itex]xdm

The Attempt at a Solution


I broke this down into three equations. x1 = 2-y; x2 = -sqrt(4-y), x3= sqrt(4-y)
I used horizontal elements so that d(x) is constant across the entire element.

When calculating M, I got [itex]\int[/itex](ky)(x2-x1)dy = [itex]\int[/itex](0→3)(ky)(sqrt(4-y))-(2-y)dy + [itex]\int[/itex](3→4)(ky)(sqrt(4-y))-(-sqrt(4-y))dy

I got this down to:

k[itex]\int[/itex](0→3)(y2-2y+ysqrt(4-y))dy + 2k[itex]\int[/itex](3→4)(ysqrt(4-y))dy

The problem is basically that I can't figure out how to integrate these to find the total mass. Please help thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel it would be much simpler to handle this as a double integral, integrating wrt y first. That will avoid surds in the bounds.
 
haruspex said:
I feel it would be much simpler to handle this as a double integral, integrating wrt y first. That will avoid surds in the bounds.

It very well may, I just haven't learned anything about that yet.

EDIT -- I am looking up double integrals, how would you apply it here?
 
Last edited:
In x-y co-ordinates, an element of area is dxdy (or dydx - either will do).
So the mass of lamina covering a region A is [itex]\int_{(x,y) \in A}ρ(x,y) dx dy[/itex]. If the area is bounded by f(x)<y<g(x) and a<x<b then you can write M = [itex]\int_{x=a}^b\int_{y=f(x)}^{g(x)}\rho(x,y) dy dx[/itex]
 
Ok I'm in my first calculus class and some of unfortunately I don't even recognize some of your notation. But I do understand somewhat and will try to use this. Thanks very much.

ok i am trying to figure this out. but my density function is ky, where k is some constant. it doesn't have an x value
 
Last edited:
The plate is bounded by [itex]y= 4- x^2[/itex] and by [itex]y= 2- x[/itex] which intersect when [itex]y= 4- x^2= 2- x[/itex] or [itex]x^2- x- 2= (x- 2)(x+ 1)= 0[/itex]

With density ky, the mass is given by
[tex]M= \int_{x=-1}^2 \int_{y= 2-x}^{4- x^2} ky dydx[/tex]
 
HallsofIvy said:
The plate is bounded by [itex]y= 4- x^2[/itex] and by [itex]y= 2- x[/itex] which intersect when [itex]y= 4- x^2= 2- x[/itex] or [itex]x^2- x- 2= (x- 2)(x+ 1)= 0[/itex]

With density ky, the mass is given by
[tex]M= \int_{x=-1}^2 \int_{y= 2-x}^{4- x^2} ky dydx[/tex]
ok I watched a couple videos on youtube and this is what I came up with:

[tex]M= \int_{x=-1}^2 \int_{y= 2-x}^{4- x^2} ky dydx[/tex]
⇔ k[itex]\int_{y=2-x}^{4- x^2} ydy[/itex]
= k (y2/2) = k [(4-x^2)/2 - (2-x)/2]
= k/2 [4-x^2 - 2+x]
= k/2 [-x^2+x-2]

then

[tex]M= \int_{x=-1}^2 (k/2 [-x^2+x-2]) dx[/tex]
= (k/2)[(-x^3)/3 + (x^2)/2 +2x]from -1->2
= ... = 9k/4
how bad is it?
 
Last edited:
cloudboy said:
[tex]M= \int_{x=-1}^2 \int_{y= 2-x}^{4- x^2} ky dydx[/tex]
That's My, right?
⇔ k[itex]\int_{y=2-x}^{4- x^2} ydy[/itex]
= k (y2/2) = k [(4-x^2)/2 - (2-x)/2]
No, you've dropped a power of 2. Setting y = 4- x2 in y2/2 gives (4- x2)2/2
 
Ok I did it again making sure to get the powers correct and I got M = 44k/5.
I calculated My to be 9k/2.

When I divided My/M to get xbar I got 88/45 which can't be right!
 
cloudboy said:
Ok I did it again making sure to get the powers correct and I got M = 44k/5.
I calculated My to be 9k/2.

When I divided My/M to get xbar I got 88/45 which can't be right!
I don't get quite the same. I have M = 31/6, My = 549/310, giving ybar (not xbar!) about 1.8. That's quite close to what you have, and seems perfectly reasonable to me.
 
haruspex said:
I don't get quite the same. I have M = 31/6, My = 549/310, giving ybar (not xbar!) about 1.8. That's quite close to what you have, and seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That's strange. I thought xbar = My/M ? Maybe I am getting my limits messed up, I evaluated My from 0->3, because from 3->4 is symmetric.
 
cloudboy said:
That's strange. I thought xbar = My/M ?
No. ∫∫ydydx/∫∫dydx must be computing an average value of y.
Maybe I am getting my limits messed up, I evaluated My from 0->3, because from 3->4 is symmetric.
What is from 0 to 3? x? The x range is determined by where the two curves meet.