Find Max mass(not weight) supported by an air matress in fresh water.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
dspivak01
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
1. An air mattress is 2.4 m long, 0.65 m wide, and 12 cm deep.



2. If the air mattress itself has a mass of 0.21 kg, what is the maximum mass it can support in freshwater?



3. I have absolutely no clue in which direction to go in once i found the buoyant force, which I am not sure is right either.

Please Help :confused:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dspivak01 said:
1. An air mattress is 2.4 m long, 0.65 m wide, and 12 cm deep.



2. If the air mattress itself has a mass of 0.21 kg, what is the maximum mass it can support in freshwater?



3. I have absolutely no clue in which direction to go in once i found the buoyant force, which I am not sure is right either.

Please Help :confused:

What is the volume of the mattress? What would an equivalent volume of water weigh?

Given that number, and the weight of the mattress, what can you say about what buoyant force the mattress can generate when fully submerged in water?