1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find maximum speed of mass on spring

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the maximum speed of the mass on a spring.

The spring and mass are lying on a horizontal surface, with the spring being attached to both the wall and mass. The mass is 8kg and the spring constant is 784 N/m. The spring, at resting state, is 20cm (0.2m), but the spring is currently stretched to 25cm (.25m).

f (frequency) is 1.576 Hz (this I calculated, it was not given so it could be wrong.).

2. Relevant equations

I found this EQ online for Vmax: fA = 2pi

f = frequency
    A = amplitude

3. The attempt at a solution

I was think of using the above formula, but I don't know how to find the Amplitude.

I have taken AP Calculus AB, but the Physics course I am taking is non- calculus based, so please try not to explain in calculus terms.

I do know that the mass has the maximum velocity right when it passes the equilibrium point.

Thanks!

*wait, i just saw you can solve for A from the fA=2pi. But how does this formula work for a spring if I have all the variables for the formula?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Do you have formulas for the motion of the mass like this:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm.html#c1
    There is a similar one for the velocity, which you could obtain by differentiating that one.

Or you could take an energy approach. The mass initially has spring energy. That is entirely converted into kinetic energy at the point where the speed is greatest. If you have formulas for spring and kinetic energy, that's probably the easiest approach.

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3
    to use the kinetic and spring energy approach, how would I do that?

I know that kinetic energy (Fk) is .5m(v^2).

Is Spring energy .5k(x^2)?

5. Nov 19, 2011 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Initial spring energy = maximum kinetic energy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook