Find Net Electric Field Between Two Point Charges

In summary, when x<0 both points point to the left, so add and put a minus sign in front. When x=0 both points point to the right, so add. When x>0 both points point to the left, so add. When x<d both points point to the right, so add. When x=d both points point to the left, so add.
rlc

Homework Statement

In the figure, two point charges q1 = 3.40×10-5 C and q2 = 1.70×10-4 C are separated by a distance d = 0.10 m. Compute their net electric field E (x) as a function of x for the following positive and negative values of x, taking E to be positive when the vector E points to the right and negative when E points to the left. Plot your values in your notebook.
What is E(-0.100)?

upload_2015-1-16_10-33-43.png

Homework Equations

E(X)=k[(q1/x^2)-(q2/(d+x)^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation, but the answer was wrong. When E(-0.100), does that mean the x in the equation is also negative? I get the feeling I've messed up some of the signs.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two things wrong with you relevant equation.
  1. If you want the magnitude of the field due to a charge, you need the distance to that charge. That is correct for q1 in your equation, but not for q2
  2. The minus sign in your equation is only valid in 0 < x < d because there the field from q1 points to the right (positive x direction) and from q2 to the left.

When it says E(-0.100), does that mean the x value of -0.100, as in a point on the x-axis to the left of q1? (-0.100, 0)

For your first point, are you saying that it should be (d-x)^2?
Second point, that the two fractions should instead be added?
E(X)=k[(q1/x^2)+(q2/(d-x)^2)]

When it says E(-0.100), does that mean the x value of -0.100, as in a point on the x-axis to the left of q1? (-0.100, 0) -- Yes

For your first point, are you saying that it should be (d-x)^2? -- Yes. Better: (x-d)2

Second point, that the two fractions should instead be added? --- Yes/No:

To the right of a charge q/x2 points to the right
To the left of a charge q/x2 points to the left​

To get it in one expression, we often use this notation : ##\vec E(\vec r) = k\; q\; {\displaystyle \vec r\over |\vec r|^3}##

q itself also has a sign. In this exercise both q1 and q2 are positive. So

x< 0 both point to the left => add and put a minus sign in front
0<x<d q1 to the right, q2 to the left (as in your original relevant equation E(X)=k[(q1/x2) - (q2/(d-x)2)] )
d<x both point to the right => add (so indeed E(X)=k[(q1/x2) + (q2/(d-x)2)] )​

Make a drawing !

Likes rlc
E(x<0)=-k[(q1/x^2) + (q2/(d-x)^2)]
E(0<x<d)=k[(q1/x^2) - (q2/(d-x)^2)]
E(d<x)=k[(q1/x^2) + (q2/(d-x)^2)]

These equations all worked! Thank you so much for explaining it all to me, I think I actually understand now why you would subtract vs. add!

1. What is the equation for calculating the net electric field between two point charges?

The equation for calculating the net electric field between two point charges is given by E = k * (q1/r1^2 + q2/r2^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances between the charges and the point where the electric field is being calculated.

2. How do I determine the direction of the net electric field between two point charges?

The direction of the net electric field can be determined by the vector sum of the individual electric fields produced by each point charge. If the charges have the same sign, the electric fields will point away from each other. If the charges have opposite signs, the electric fields will point towards each other.

3. Can the net electric field between two point charges ever be zero?

Yes, the net electric field between two point charges can be zero if the two charges have equal magnitudes and are placed at equal distances from the point where the electric field is being calculated. This is known as the neutral point.

4. How does the distance between two point charges affect the net electric field?

The net electric field between two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the net electric field decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the net electric field increases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the net electric field between two point charges?

The unit of measurement for the net electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m). This represents the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at the point where the electric field is being calculated.