Find p in R for Absolute Conv. Series: 1/(klog^pk)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
wany
Messages
72
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


find all values of p in R for which the given series converges absolutely.
[itex]\displaystyle\sum\limits_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{klog^pk}[/itex]

Homework Equations


Ratio Test Or Root Test

The Attempt at a Solution


So I tried using the ratio test and get:
[itex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{k \to \infty } \frac{|a_{k+1}|}{|a_k|}=\mathop {\lim }\limits_{k \to \infty } |\frac{klog^pk}{(k+1)log^p(k+1)}|=\mathop {\lim }\limits_{k \to \infty } |\frac{log^pk}{log^p(k+1)}|[/itex] since lim as k goes to infinity of k/(k+1) is 1.
We know that we want this limit to be less than 1.

I am stuck from this point. Any help would be appreciated (there should be absolute signs in there I am not sure why they didnt show up).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ok, so i let [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{xlog^px}[/itex] and then when I take the integral of this function, first I let [itex]log^px=\frac{lnx^p}{ln10^p}[/itex] and then I let u=lnx
so I get that the integral is [itex]ln10^p*\frac{-u^{1-p}}{p-1}[/itex] taken from 1 to t and taking the limit as t goes to infinity, so [itex]ln10^p*\frac{ln(1)^{1-p}-lnt^{1-p}}{p-1}[/itex]
So we see that when p is in (1, infinity), that makes sure that [itex]lnt^{1-p}[/itex] goes to 0 instead of infinity and thus our series converges. Is this correct? And thank you for your help so far.
 
wany said:
ok, so i let [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{xlog^px}[/itex] and then when I take the integral of this function, first I let [itex]log^px=\frac{lnx^p}{ln10^p}[/itex] and then I let u=lnx
so I get that the integral is [itex]ln10^p*\frac{-u^{1-p}}{p-1}[/itex] taken from 1 to t and taking the limit as t goes to infinity, so [itex]ln10^p*\frac{ln(1)^{1-p}-lnt^{1-p}}{p-1}[/itex]
So we see that when p is in (1, infinity), that makes sure that [itex]lnt^{1-p}[/itex] goes to 0 instead of infinity and thus our series converges. Is this correct? And thank you for your help so far.

I think that's actually pretty much it. I wouldn't worry about the logs base 10 vs ln. I think you can take log=ln if it doesn't specifically say log_10. And they did set the lower limit of the sum to n=2 for a good reason. Otherwise the first term in the sequence is undefined. But other than that it looks ok to me.
 
Oh you it is 2 and not 1. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
 
One more thing, since I want it to converge absolutely, do I need to have the integral of the absolute function?
 
Never mind that was a stupid question, the function is positive and decreasing, so absolute does not matter in this case.