Find period of circular disk physical pendulum

In summary, the problem involves a uniform circular disk suspended as a physical pendulum, with a radius of 40.0 cm and a point of suspension on its rim. The goal is to determine the period of oscillation and the radial distance at which a point of suspension would give the same period. Using the formula for the period of oscillation and the moment of inertia, the correct solution is 1.55 seconds. The discrepancy in the attempted solution is due to an incorrect moment of inertia, which can be found using the parallel axis theorem.
synchronous

Homework Statement

A uniform circular disk whose radius R is 40.0 cm is suspended as a physical pendulum from a point on its rim.

(a) What is its period of oscillation?

(b) At what radial distance r < R is there a point of suspension that gives the same period?

R = .40 m
g = 9.81 m/s^2
h = .40m

Homework Equations

T = 2pi(I/(mgh))^.5
I = .25mR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why R is .40 m but h isn't. I arrived at a solution of .63 s, but the actual solution is 1.55 s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your moment of inertia is wrong.

EDIT: Have you heard of the parallel axis theorem?

Last edited:
Read a little on it once you mentioned it. The axis of rotation Rz, and is perpendicular to the disk and goes through the attachment point, right?

Yes, the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the disk surface and does pass through the pivot point. I am not sure what you mean by, "The axis of rotation Rz" though.

Anyway, basically you know the moment of inertia of the disk around its centre of mass, and can use this result plus the parallel axis theorem to determine the moment of inertia for rotation around the pivot point.

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid object, such as a disk or rod, that is allowed to rotate around a fixed axis. This is in contrast to a simple pendulum, which consists of a mass attached to a string or rod that is allowed to swing back and forth.

2. How do you determine the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum can be determined by using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the object, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the object.

3. What factors affect the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass and distribution of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. The period will also vary depending on the angle at which the pendulum is released and the damping force present.

4. How does the shape of the object affect the period of a physical pendulum?

The shape of the object will affect the moment of inertia, which is a key factor in determining the period of a physical pendulum. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a longer period, while objects with a smaller moment of inertia will have a shorter period.

5. Can the period of a physical pendulum be changed?

Yes, the period of a physical pendulum can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the length, mass, and shape of the object. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the period of a physical pendulum.