1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find potential difference of negative charged particle?

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The work done by an external force to move a -8.5μC charge from point A to point b is 15x10^-4 J. If the charge was started from rest and had 4.82x10^-4 J of kinetic energy when it reached point b, what must be the potential difference between a and b

2. Relevant equations
    W(nonconservative)=ΔKE+ΔPE
    V=ΔPE/Q

3. The attempt at a solution
    15x10^-4 - 4.82x10^-4 J= .001 J (Work = ke f - ke i (0) + PE f (0) - PE i) So PE i would equal -.001 J.
    Then v= -.001J/-8.5x10^-6 C = 119.7 Volts.
    But the answer is supposed to be -119.7 volts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2
    My first thoughts are that the question is badly worded!! A Potential DIFFERENCE is surely just a value ...119.7V
    The negative charge starts from rest and gains KE which tells me that point A is a negative charge and the external force of the charge at point A repels the negative charge to point b
    So point A is -119.7V with respect to point b

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    When we say potential difference what do we mean? My textbook defines potential difference as the work required to move a unit of electric charge from point b to point a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook