Find potential integrating on segments parallel to axes

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for finding the potential of a conservative vector field defined on a domain ##D## by calculating an integral on a curve ##\gamma##. The conditions for ##D## to use this method involve being connected and having any point connected to a chosen point ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)## via segments parallel to the coordinate axes. However, this alone may not be sufficient, as demonstrated by an example.
crick
A simple method to find the potential of a conservative vector field defined on a domain ##D## is to calculate the integral
$$U(x,y,z)=\int_{\gamma} F \cdot ds$$

On a curve ##\gamma## that is made of segments parallel to the coordinate axes, that start from a chosen point ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)##.

I would like to know what are precisely the conditions that ##D## must satisfy to use this method. ##D## should be made in such way that "any point can be connected to ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)## with, indeed, a segment parallel to the coordinate axes".

But what are the sufficient mathematical conditions for $D$ in order to have this property?**

I would say that it surely has to be connected, but that seems not to be enough. For example taking
$$D= \{ (x,y) : y>x-1\} \,\,\,\, \,\,\,\,\,(x_0,y_0)=(0,0)$$
##D## is connected but I do not think that any point can be connected to ##(0,0)## via a segment parallel to the coordinate axes.

Physics news on Phys.org
crick said:
I do not think that any point can be connected to (0,0) via a segment parallel to the coordinate axes.
It does not need to be. It only has to be connected by some path consisting of segments parallel to the axes. Of course, it could get quite messy.
A simple example which does not work is two regions connected only by a diagonal line.

Last edited:
In my mind it seems like a compactness argument should be useful, but I do not presently have the energy to follow up.

1. What is the purpose of finding potential integrating on segments parallel to axes?

The purpose of finding potential integrating on segments parallel to axes is to determine the potential function for a given vector field. This potential function can then be used to calculate the work done by the vector field along a given path.

2. How is potential integrating on segments parallel to axes different from regular integration?

Potential integrating on segments parallel to axes involves finding a potential function for a vector field, whereas regular integration involves finding the area under a curve. In potential integrating, the path of integration must be parallel to the axes, whereas in regular integration, the path can be any curve.

3. What are the key steps in finding potential integrating on segments parallel to axes?

The key steps in finding potential integrating on segments parallel to axes include identifying the vector field, checking for conservative properties, finding the potential function, and calculating the work done along a given path using the potential function.

4. Can potential integrating on segments parallel to axes be applied to 3D vector fields?

No, potential integrating on segments parallel to axes can only be applied to 2D vector fields. In 3D, the path of integration must be a surface rather than a line parallel to the axes.

5. What are some real-world applications of potential integrating on segments parallel to axes?

Potential integrating on segments parallel to axes has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include calculating the work done by a conservative force on an object, determining the electric potential in a circuit, and finding the potential energy of a system.